MCAT in a few weeks, my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlentyOLulz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't care for MD schools, since it's all the same for me. I want to be a DO, especially since I have such a low GPA (3.12) and my science is 2.87 :/ It should be worth noting that I had a positive trend in my final year of school gradewise, except that I bombed a science class due to coming late on the final and not being able to take it.

I have good work experience (4+ years with direct patient contact - since high school) and long hours of volunteering. I have also done a few clubs, and some random assorted things. Nothing like saving starving children in Africa.

I was wondering what my target score (to make me a strong candidate) is for getting into ANY DO School, but I'd prefer to go down to a school in FL since that's where I reside. I want to apply for FALL 2010 cycle and my application for AMCAS/AACOMAS is practically finished, with the exception of actually submitting it with the premed committee's letter. I can provide other pieces of information if need be but I don't know what else to say, just looking for a decent indicator of the score I need.

Thanks

Btw, the test is the 30th of july and I'm scoring low 20s for now, but I'm feeling if I do SUBSTANTIAL detailed reviewing/practice then I'll be able to raise it a bit. But if it doesn't work, then what?

Members don't see this ad.

Considering that the average stats for those accepted to DO schools are GPA of 3.45 and MCAT score of 25.5, with your cGPA of 3.12 you should aim for an MCAT score of 29 or better. The DO school in Florida that I know of is more selective, so you'd likely need better than 30.

You do have a LOR from shadowing a physician, right?

To get a more informed opinion, note that SDN has a DO "What are my chances?" thread in the Pre-osteopathic Forum at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=596702

Btw, the test is the 30th of july and I'm scoring low 20s for now, but I'm feeling if I do SUBSTANTIAL detailed reviewing/practice then I'll be able to raise it a bit. But if it doesn't work, then what?
I would not take the MCAT if you continue to score in the low 20s on practice tests. In that case reschedule the test and take it in September or January after taking a formal prep class and plan to apply in a year. Meanwhile, retake some of the classes where you got the lowest grades to take advantage of AACOMAS' grade repacement policy to boost your GPA. You won't get in anywhere without a decent score to make up for the low GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are playing with fire. Submitting this cycle is nearly suicidal, and wasting your first application.

Your GPA and a low 20s MCAT really has no shot at MD or DO schools in the US. I would highly recommend retaking courses you got a C or below in through the 2009-2010 academic year. This would hopefully bring your GPA to the 3.2-3.3 level. Then, with an MCAT of 28-29, you have a shot at DO schools.

I think you are playing with fire. Submitting this cycle is nearly suicidal, and wasting your first application.

Your GPA and a low 20s MCAT really has no shot at MD or DO schools in the US. I would highly recommend retaking courses you got a C or below in through the 2009-2010 academic year. This would hopefully bring your GPA to the 3.2-3.3 level. Then, with an MCAT of 28-29, you have a shot at DO schools.

It wouldn't be my first application, unfortunately. I was heavily misinformed last cycle and applied too late with a rushed MCAT, etc. I may retake a couple of the classes at a neighboring university, but what I'm aiming for is this cycle, which can only be trumped by my MCAT score. You both are right in what I need to get: a 28+. My GPA isn't great, so I need to make up for it. I do have the LOR from a DO.

I have already started doing those 1001 questions and I'm feeling a lot better after getting a few wrong and seeing how the explanations were helping. I think I will delay my MCAT for another 4-6 weeks while I OWN the information and get a chance to apply it will be VERY beneficial and with some luck, get me into the 2010 cycle.

Good luck. You're doing the correct thing by taking it slow and doing it right.

It wouldn't be my first application, unfortunately. I was heavily misinformed last cycle and applied too late with a rushed MCAT, etc. I may retake a couple of the classes at a neighboring university, but what I'm aiming for is this cycle, which can only be trumped by my MCAT score. You both are right in what I need to get: a 28+. My GPA isn't great, so I need to make up for it. I do have the LOR from a DO.

I have already started doing those 1001 questions and I'm feeling a lot better after getting a few wrong and seeing how the explanations were helping. I think I will delay my MCAT for another 4-6 weeks while I OWN the information and get a chance to apply it will be VERY beneficial and with some luck, get me into the 2010 cycle.

Just note that an MCAT 6 weeks later = end of August = MCAT score in September last week = applications complete in early to mid October. That is still really late. Reapplicants (2nd time) still stand a great chance provided they improve. A third time applicant will have a lot more difficulty. Just something to keep in mind.