1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

mcat in london?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Becca, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Becca

Becca Member
    15+ Year Member

hey guys...i just wanted to vent a lil bit. so, guess who missed the registration deadline for august mcat?..yeah yeah yeah, i know..WHAT WAS I THINKING?? anyways, it is over and done with now. i can go to london and take it though. for some reason the registration there is still open. but then i have ot think about all of the money my parents will spend on that and WHAT IF I DON'T DO WELL?..a big watse...also, now that it seems that i have a year off i have been looking at other options and it seems kinda exciting. i would love to get some experience somewhere..i mean, really, this is my last chance for that. i was thinking maybe an emt or something in that field but that takes 9 months of training itself. really, i was kind of looking for some outside opinions? what would you do in my situation?

2. Focus

Focus crazy!!
    7+ Year Member

Hi Becca,

IF you have been studying and feel you're ready, try calling the MCAT registration center up and ask them to find you an opening in one of the nearby test centers.

However, since it's past the deadline, you will be charged a late fee.

- Focus

3. Becca

Becca Member
    15+ Year Member

i wish it was that simple...i have already tried calling and talking to anyone i could..no luck..i did everything but tell them money was no object..lol

4. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

I wonder if they let people just "show up" . . like on stand by? Did you ask if they allow that? You are risking it bigtime though, because you may be turned down at the last minute because nobody cancelled.

Did you ask about that?

5. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker
    7+ Year Member

Be VERY careful, because the London site is offering the new computerized version. If their wonderful work inserting glitches into the AMCAS application is any indication, I suspect they will do a stellar job butchering the computerized MCAT.

6. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    In addition to the possible screwups with the computerized version, I have always heard that you think somewhat differently when taking a computerized test vs a written test. If you do try to take it in London, I would get my hands on some computerized practice if I were you, good luck!

7. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Also, what sort of field were you thinking of for getting experience in? There are tons of different things to do - Americorps/Teach for America, volunteer with Doctors without borders, clinical research, lab research, habitat for humanity and so on. What field exactly - medicine/research/or other?!?

8. Becca

Becca Member
    15+ Year Member

i ask about the standy-by deal. she nearly laughed at me..:rolleyes: ..oh well. right now i am having horrible luck finding information about the London test. The registration number they gave on the aamc website appears to be incorrect. what the hell is the deal with the "+"?...the operator couldn't even tell me. teh country code is wrong, and it should be a 10 digit number. +pissed+ admit it....the whole world is out to frustrate me!!..lol

btw, that was a good point about the problems with the computerized testing. it wouldn't be my first choice, but it may be my only choice.

thank you guys

9. Becca

Becca Member
    15+ Year Member

sorry coffe cat. i almost forgot ya. i would like to do pretty much anything in the medical field. Lab research would be my last choice. i'm more of a people person. Also, probably something earning a lil cash. it would eb nice to have a litte saved up before med school. = )

10. To call to register for the London MCAT you have to dial 00 first (this is what the + stands for). This is just standard shorthand for international dialing. I called the London number and had no problem.
    Hope this helps!
    :)

11. Becca

Becca Member
    15+ Year Member

yeah thanx misalara. i figured it out. actually i had to dial 011 to get out since that is the US county code.

12. sean

sean Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Becca. You are not the only one. I also messed up with my MCAT registration and I will be flying to London for August 17th. I am travelling from San Francisco on Tuesday 13th to try to get some of the jet lag issues taken care of and flying home on Sunday the 18th. I have heard that the central London test is full but that there is a site in Twickenham, "20 minutes away by car supposedly" that still has places. I have not been able to reach any of the people at Twickenham to find out their exact location but from what I have been able to gather it is about an hour subway ride fron central London. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers I suppose. :)

13. Becca

Becca Member
    15+ Year Member

well that makes me feel a lil better, sean. glad to see that i'm not the only one that screwed up.

14. Biffer

Biffer The good times doc
    10+ Year Member

The MCAT is offered in London?? I thought the brits had another set of tests just after high school for med school admit. Are these sites just for americans who forgot about the deadlines? pretty sweet-I wish I had forgotten!

-biffer

15. sean

sean Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It is the same test given all over the world on August 17th. I guess its for those foreign nationals who wish to go to a US school although I am sure there will be a few others like me who messed up the deadline.;)

16. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

hey, can you guys e-mail us the topics on the test after you finish taking it??
    only kidding...
    didn't they used to only offer it brighton or something? i didn't think they had it in london, but i guess they do now!