MCAT Instructor - which company is best to work for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txprodigal

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
;

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
none of them offers large number of hours. i've been doing this for a while

try looking at post-bac programs, but you are right now on the tail end of tutor recruiting. if you are a first time tutor for kaplan or tpr, you will probably stuck with 1 course a week. so that's 3 hours - you can make 80 ish with prep time.

idk where you are from, but put up an ad on craigslist service section

Kaplan was kind of annoying to work for -- it's very cookie cutter teaching, with a LOT of plugging for how great Kaplan is, how they lead to higher scores, etc.

A lot of your feedback is less, "Hey, here's a better way to explain RNA transcription," and more "You should mention how Kaplan leads to higher scores at least 2 more times per hour."

I found this somewhat repulsive. It also sucks that these people pay $1000 for teaching or tutoring, and you get a cool $10 an hour.

I told my friends that I should offer my services and see if I can get a group willing to split a $2000 bill. Semi-Private MCAT tutoring from a 39-scorer. Should be more $$/hr than others. Or just charge a straight $$/hr rate. Maybe $20 or $30/hr individual and $10/hr group. It would require a lot of advertising, but could be a great payoff... I wonder if there are laws against "recommending" your students buy from a certain company and teach using those materials.

I told my friends that I should offer my services and see if I can get a group willing to split a $2000 bill. Semi-Private MCAT tutoring from a 39-scorer. Should be more $$/hr than others. Or just charge a straight $$/hr rate. Maybe $20 or $30/hr individual and $10/hr group. It would require a lot of advertising, but could be a great payoff... I wonder if there are laws against "recommending" your students buy from a certain company and teach using those materials.

i work for a group and an institution and privately. its against the contract, but **** them.

you can make 50 - 100 an hour. even 50 an hour for each in a group x 4 ppl or so. i usually find people through the program im teaching in that might want something extra

If you are good at standardized tests, go for the GMAT (it should take like 2 weeks to study for, part time) and you will make more. Pre-meds are also flaky.

See a sample craigslist service ad, you can get automated advertising software. Present your self like an experienced MCAT company rather than a one random dude.

It's definitely not easy and expect to get decent amount of complaints and changing **** up, but if you really care about the student they will stick.

So why GMAT? I just got job to Tutor MCAT for Kaplan but I may also take the GMAT since I kinda want a MBA/MD do people pay more for GMAT tutoring or something?

yea some MBAs and companies reimburse for GMAT.

some companies like manhattanGMAT pay 100/hr for class tutoring. however, you have to go through a ****load of unpaid training

yea some MBAs and companies reimburse for GMAT.

some companies like manhattanGMAT pay 100/hr for class tutoring. however, you have to go through a ****load of unpaid training

Lol I am in one of the poorest state so that wont happen....

I just want a lot of hours and decent pay. Thanks in advance.

how many?

The number of hours for TPR depends on which subject you teach. Biology instructors teach the most (25 hours, not including office hours), and I believe Organic Chem instructors teach the least (I teach bio, so I'm not completely sure how many hours are devoted to the other sections).

You always have the option of upping your hours by certifying to teach more than one subject. The downside is that there must be at least 2 completely separate MCAT classes running for you to do this (you are only allowed to teach one subject for each given group of students). So honestly, teaching bio for two courses simultaneously is the best deal when it comes to TPR. However, it is truly part time job income, and it is not the best route if you are just looking to pull in cash.

As for the teaching itself...I really like the format. They provide a broad list of topics to cover, and a good deal of freedom to teach them in whatever way is best for your group of students.

Some places kaplan essentially can let you have as much hour as you want by having you teach MCAT+ACT+OAT (physics) and you can also get internally certified for OAT and DAT...so