ayg103

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
Status
Hey Everyone,

I heard from someone that students are required to take the MCAT to get into an OMFS program. I imagine this is true for the 6 year program only. If so, is there a minimum score required or is the test just a formality that everyone just has to take? Also, when would be the best time to take the test? I mean dental school is rigourous enough with classes, exams, the boards, and externships. All advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
Status
ayg103 said:
Hey Everyone,

I heard from someone that students are required to take the MCAT to get into an OMFS program. I imagine this is true for the 6 year program only. If so, is there a minimum score required or is the test just a formality that everyone just has to take? Also, when would be the best time to take the test? I mean dental school is rigourous enough with classes, exams, the boards, and externships. All advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

nope. not true

OP
A

ayg103

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
Status
The reason I had this question is because a director of admissions at a dental school told me that students interested in omfs have to take the mcats. But if none of you have heard such a thing, then I guess it is false. But its weird that this director would tell me that the mcat is required. Oh well.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
ayg103 said:
But if none of you have heard such a thing, then I guess it is false.... Oh well.
Two people on SDN counter-acts what a director of admissions told you?

Help us out, what school was this director of admissions from? Maybe that one school requires it. I doubt that the above posters recently applied to every single oral surgery program in the us.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
delicious said:
Two people on SDN counter-acts what a director of admissions told you?
Well, both of those guys ARE OMS residents, so they carry some weight.

I've never heard of such a thing either (perhaps the admissions directore meant the USMLE but inadvertently said MCAT?).

A cursory glance of programs listed with PASS shows NONE requiring the MCAT. My guess is that the guy meant the USMLE.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
ItsGavinC said:
My guess is that the guy meant the USMLE.
Yeah, that's probably what he/she meant.

I'm aware those guys are oms, but that doesn't mean they know the current admissions criteria of every single school. Hence, the end of my first post. And do all oral surgery programs participate in PASS?

jiggapigga

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
NO the MCAT is not required. At least not for this year's dental match oms programs.

delicious said:

I'm aware those guys are oms, but that doesn't mean they know the current admissions criteria of every single school. Hence, the end of my first post. And do all oral surgery programs participate in PASS?

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
delicious said:

No, not all programs participate in PASS. But, the OMS guys DO have some weight to throw around since they applied to programs. They obviously researched programs before applying. A program requiring the MCAT isn't a small deal, it's a huge deal (and a ridiculous one). Such a requirement would stand out in their minds if they'd ever encountered it (either personally or on the interview circuit as they talked with other applicants).

tjb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2004
Status
ItsGavinC said:
No, not all programs participate in PASS. But, the OMS guys DO have some weight to throw around since they applied to programs. They obviously researched programs before applying. A program requiring the MCAT isn't a small deal, it's a huge deal (and a ridiculous one). Such a requirement would stand out in their minds if they'd ever encountered it (either personally or on the interview circuit as they talked with other applicants).
None of the big name med schools require the Mcat for OMFS such as Harvard/Vanderbilt/Mayo/Penn/Cornell so I doubt any other programs would require it. I never heard of such a thing.

tjb

jiggapigga

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
which school did you hear this from anyway??

ayg103 said:
Hey Everyone,

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
tjb said:
None of the big name med schools require the Mcat for OMFS such as Harvard/Vanderbilt/Mayo/Penn/Cornell so I doubt any other programs would require it.
Actually, I would think these private schools would be the last ones to institute extra requirements. It's the public state schools I'd worry about, because they're accountable to layers of political crap. But it looks like the MCAT's not an issue for OMS anyhow. Not that I doubted jedi or north2south, I just thought the issue hadn't been explored fully. I figured there would've been at least one school.

OP
A

ayg103

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
Status
Hey Everyone,

Thanks to all for getting back to me. I thought this was a ludicrous requirement, but I just wanted to double check with you all. It really alleviates the worries I had with omfs. Thanks again for the advice. You guys are awesome.

Dr. Pedo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2001
Visit site
Status
I've never heard of this either------I think the director meant USMLE. I know the USMLE's are required for some but I've never heard of the MCAT being required. Wouldn't that be great if only the MCAT and not USMLE I and II were required :eek: Count me in for OMFS-----oh wait----desire is not enough to secure a residency, is it. Oh well there is always PEDO :laugh:

Dr. Pedo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2001
Visit site
Status
ayg103 said:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks to all for getting back to me. I thought this was a ludicrous requirement, but I just wanted to double check with you all. It really alleviates the worries I had with omfs. Thanks again for the advice. You guys are awesome.
Ayg----not to be sarcastic ----I know how hectic dental school is, I graduate in 4 months :) , but if you can handle the rigors of Dental school, graduate in the top 10-15% of your class, score 90+ on your boards, pass clinical licensure's exam, get your Doctorate in Dental Surgery, apply to OMFS, but are then scared of taking the MCAT (a test college students take, mind you-- normally with no college degree yet) there is definitely a problem :D

Hey pre-MD's no flames here :cool:

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
Dr.2b said:
Ayg----not to be sarcastic ----I know how hectic dental school is, I graduate in 4 months :) , but if you can handle the rigors of Dental school, graduate in the top 10-15% of your class, score 90+ on your boards, pass clinical licensure's exam, get your Doctorate in Dental Surgery, apply to OMFS, but are then scared of taking the MCAT (a test college students take, mind you-- normally with no college degree yet) there is definitely a problem :D
Well, I don't think that saying the "MCAT is a test college students take" belittles it that much. You'd still have to study that basic science over again, and it's not a joke.

But in general, I agree with you. If you'll be getting an MD from a school, is it too much to ask that you take the MCAT? I don't think so. In fact, I'm really surprised you don't have to. There's a thread in the MD forum about how the MCAT will now be computerized at of 2007 like the DAT is, and it'll be run 20 times a year (instead of only twice currently). That would be really sweet.

It's too bad this thread turned out to be sorta BS, the OP won't even say what school this director of admissions was from. It's fine if the OP mis-heard MCAT or USMLE, but at least give us some closure. I swear I heard someone say once that they had to have taken the MCAT before completing the MD degree because of administrative reasons with the med school. They were already accepted to the program and in it, but they had to take it (didn't matter how well they did).

omfsres

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2004
Status
delicious said:
Well, I don't think that saying the "MCAT is a test college students take" belittles it that much. You'd still have to study that basic science over again, and it's not a joke.

But in general, I agree with you. If you'll be getting an MD from a school, is it too much to ask that you take the MCAT? I don't think so. In fact, I'm really surprised you don't have to. There's a thread in the MD forum about how the MCAT will now be computerized at of 2007 like the DAT is, and it'll be run 20 times a year (instead of only twice currently). That would be really sweet.

It's too bad this thread turned out to be sorta BS, the OP won't even say what school this director of admissions was from. It's fine if the OP mis-heard MCAT or USMLE, but at least give us some closure. I swear I heard someone say once that they had to have taken the MCAT before completing the MD degree because of administrative reasons with the med school. They were already accepted to the program and in it, but they had to take it (didn't matter how well they did).
To answer the OP's question, NO. There is no DDS/MD program that requires you to take the MCAT. Is that closure enough for you. If you can pass the USMLE what is the use of having to pass some lame test. PS. Your posts are annoying.

OP
A

ayg103

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2005
Status
i can not recall which admissions director i spoke to that mentioned the mcat requirement. so instead of saying someone's name or institution, i just decided to not answer it. sorry if that doesn't give you closure, but thanks to all for clearing up my initial inquiry

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
Status
delicious said:

I applied to twenty five 6 year programs. none of them required the mcat.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
omfsres said:
To answer the OP's question, NO. There is no DDS/MD program that requires you to take the MCAT. Is that closure enough for you. If you can pass the USMLE what is the use of having to pass some lame test. PS. Your posts are annoying.
I'm still not convinced. omfsres, please go into more detail with regards to oral surgery programs not requiring the MCAT.

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
Status
delicious said:
I'm still not convinced. omfsres, please go into more detail with regards to oral surgery programs not requiring the MCAT.

Dude, you have several people that are in residencies telling you what's up. Why don't you get off your rear and call them instead of being a flaming idiot. You can go to the AAOMS website and call each program and get back to us. Geez. I hope you aren't like this in real life, somebody's gonna throttle you.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
Jediwendell said:
Dude, you have several people that are in residencies telling you what's up. Why don't you get off your rear and call them instead of being a flaming idiot. You can go to the AAOMS website and call each program and get back to us. Geez. I hope you aren't like this in real life, somebody's gonna throttle you.
Dude, chillax! :laugh: omfsres said my "posts were annoying." I guess my humor's a little too subtle for some of you.

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
Status
delicious said:
Dude, chillax! :laugh: omfsres said my "posts were annoying." I guess my humor's a little too subtle for some of you.
Humor? you are like nails on a chalkboard.

psiyung

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2004
Status
delicious said:
^
|
|

I'm not with ******

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
(just passing by) Please don't mudsling me along with you guys. =)

tx oms

Welcome to Thunderdome
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2004
USA
Status
Don't use the word "chillax" on an interview or the MCAT thing won't even matter.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
tx oms said:
Don't use the word "chillax" on an interview or the MCAT thing won't even matter.
hmm... yes. I think I had just watched a film featuring Pauly Shore. He makes great movies: Encino Man, Jury Duty, Bio-Dome, Son-In-Law. Classic.