MCAT noob, need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rehanyazdani

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow pre-meds! I'm taking the MCAT for the first this April. I needed advice on test prep material. Currently I have the Kaplan Comprehensive Review. It is okay. I am thinking about getting the Examkrackers Complete Study Package. What other things do you guys recommend? I have read about AAMC tests, where do I get these?

I'm a Business/Computer Information Systems major and Biology minor. Here's is what I've had: Gen. Chem 1 & 2, Gen. Bio 1 & 2, Orgo 1 & 2, Cell Biology, Physics 1, and am currently enrolled in Physics 2 and Microbiology.

Thanks for your help in advance. Good luck to everyone else who is taking the MCAT in April/August!

-Rehan

Members don't see this ad.

rehanyazdani said:
Hello fellow pre-meds! I'm taking the MCAT for the first this April. I needed advice on test prep material. Currently I have the Kaplan Comprehensive Review. It is okay. I am thinking about getting the Examkrackers Complete Study Package. What other things do you guys recommend? I have read about AAMC tests, where do I get these?

I'm a Business/Computer Information Systems major and Biology minor. Here's is what I've had: Gen. Chem 1 & 2, Gen. Bio 1 & 2, Orgo 1 & 2, Cell Biology, Physics 1, and am currently enrolled in Physics 2 and Microbiology.

Thanks for your help in advance. Good luck to everyone else who is taking the MCAT in April/August!

-Rehan

you can get the aamc practice exams at e-mcat.com Right now you should go to http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/studentmanual/start.htm and print the topic lists--these will help you focus your studies. I kind of used the Kaplan Comprehensive review book and the examkrackers books together. The examkrackers book are condensed and will tell you what you really need to focus on, but the Kaplan books have a ton of detail which is great if there are some things you don't understand. Pay attention in Physics II this semester!!! good luck :luck:

rehanyazdani said:

-Rehan

I am currently studying for the test too....

I have the EK series and TPR (Princeton Review). The EK books are pretty good (I have 3rd edition)---so far I dont like EK physics (it is too condensed for the material it covers. EK Bio is AWESOME! The 101 verbal is god too if you need verbal practice.

Nikki2002 said:
you can get the aamc practice exams at e-mcat.com Right now you should go to http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/studentmanual/start.htm and print the topic lists--these will help you focus your studies. I kind of used the Kaplan Comprehensive review book and the examkrackers books together. The examkrackers book are condensed and will tell you what you really need to focus on, but the Kaplan books have a ton of detail which is great if there are some things you don't understand. Pay attention in Physics II this semester!!! good luck :luck:

Thank you so much for the information. Keep it coming guys! Also, does TPR = The Princeton Review? Just askin because I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN!

I took the MCAT last April for the first time, and I only used the EK books. That was a mistake for me because I think I needed more background on several topics. Many people here swear by EK materials, so I know those books work great for some students.

I'm taking the TPR (I think the T stands for Total, as in Total Princeton Review) course, and I'm planning to use the EK books again, but only as supplemental material.

As a side note, I find that one nice thing about the EK books is that they are all in color and are kind of fun to read. The TPR books are all black and white and boring as heck!

Good luck studying, and don't dump the idea of using the EK books because of my experience. They work for many people.

shellyr33 said:
Welcome to SDN!

I took the MCAT last April for the first time, and I only used the EK books. That was a mistake for me because I think I needed more background on several topics. Many people here swear by EK materials, so I know those books work great for some students.

I'm taking the TPR (I think the T stands for Total, as in Total Princeton Review) course, and I'm planning to use the EK books again, but only as supplemental material.

As a side note, I find that one nice thing about the EK books is that they are all in color and are kind of fun to read. The TPR books are all black and white and boring as heck!

Good luck studying, and don't dump the idea of using the EK books because of my experience. They work for many people.

Thanks! I think that EK will be fine for me since I've had most of the science covered on the MCAT. I've read about the colorful EK books and that does sound good. The Kaplan Comprehensive Review is very boring to read and I've never felt inclined to read it. Good luck studying to you too!

Rehan,
This is how I rocked the MCAT.

EK + text books to supplement is great but the Kaplan Comprehensive review is also another great supplement for areas you are weak on and need more MCAT based review material, presentation of material in a different way, and more examples. You can easily find the kaplan comprehensive review in libraries also which is a big plus. EK BS is very solid so you would only need help in the PS possibly.

If you really put a lot of effort into Physics 2 I think you are in great shape to do exremely well on the MCAT with your background. If you see yourself completely owning BS and sucking in PS be sure to cut down your study time on BS and use it for PS.

12+ in BS for you :thumbup:

Nikki2002 said:
The examkrackers book are condensed and will tell you what you really need to focus on, but the Kaplan books have a ton of detail which is great if there are some things you don't understand. Pay attention in Physics II this semester!!! good luck :luck:

HunterGatherer said:
Rehan,

EK + text books to supplement is great but the Kaplan Comprehensive review is also another great supplement for areas you are weak on and need more MCAT based review material, presentation of material in a different way, and more examples. You can easily find the kaplan comprehensive review in libraries also which is a big plus. EK BS is very solid so you would only need help in the PS possibly.

If you really put a lot of effort into Physics 2 I think you are in great shape to do exremely well on the MCAT with your background. If you see yourself completely owning BS and sucking in PS be sure to cut down your study time on BS and use it for PS.

Thanks for the info! I have the Kaplan Comprehensive Review 2005 edition. I will definitely use it for practice and as you said, get more detailed information. BS would be my weak spot because orgo is not my strength. I find PS easier. I will take the AAMC 3R and see how I do. Thanks again!

HunterGatherer said:
Rehan,

Can you buy the EK BS separately?

Nikki2002 said:
yes you can!! it's probably around $25-$30 I would try walmart.com and amazon.com

Yes you're right. They're cheaper on Amazon, that's where I bought all of mine. They should be here on Wednesday and then its studying like crazy until April 22nd!

Not that it really matters...but in TPR class today I noticed that the T in TPR actually does stand for "The" not "Total" as a previously stated.