MCAT Only!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonwill

Podiatrist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I studied for and took the MCAT thinking that, regardless of what I did in medicine, that was something I was going to have to do. Some podiatry programs accept other tests (GRE, DAT, etc). The rumor is that back in the day, only the MCAT was accepted but as applications went down in the 90's, they started accepting other scores.
In this day and age, podiatric physicians are on staff at hospitals, have medical and surgical privileges, are medically and surgically managing their patients, etc. Doesn't it seem right that schools return to accepting ONLY the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

jonwill said:
I studied for and took the MCAT thinking that, regardless of what I did in medicine, that was something I was going to have to do. Some podiatry programs accept other tests (GRE, DAT, etc). The rumor is that back in the day, only the MCAT was accepted but as applications went down in the 90's, they started accepting other scores.
In this day and age, podiatric physicians are on staff at hospitals, have medical and surgical privileges, are medically and surgically managing their patients, etc. Doesn't it seem right that schools return to accepting ONLY the MCAT?
No question about it. This is the standard of medical acceptance. No other exam should make it. If I took the SAT's in high school would this soon count as an admssions test? The way things were going in pods it may someday have been. Should it ever, along with the DAT, GRE, etc.? Hell no. Then why use ANY other test but the MCAT?

jonwill said:

Jon,
I recently talked to Meghan about this issue. She believes that in 2007 when the MCAT is offered up to 20 times a year. The test will also be shortened to 5 hours. After the changes are made, no student can claim they "had a bad day" b/c they can take it again next month. I think it this change will be in the best interested of all podiatric schools.

If you want to read about the changes you can see them at http://www.mcatchanges.com/

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather see a tougher exam on the way out instead of on the way in....

But at the same time, I don't like seeing some schools shedding 10-20 students in the first year either.

Why can't the schools cut the carp out of their programs and get interested in the success of every student?

I mean, I don't know of too many medical schools (M.D./D.O.) that regularly loose 1/5-1/4 of their classes on a regular basis.... Maybe the caribbean?

The taxpayer should be outraged at any school (podiatry included) that qualifies students for their programs takes their money (some of which is tax $$$) and then unqualifies them in a blink of an eye.

And start it all over again the next year!

Actually, I think that since some educational facilities seem to treat tax money like it's their right, congress should statistically analyze every program that accepts federal money and then qualify the school.

"Whoops, looks like your program sucks and/or your students weren't really qualified to begin with, no more money for your sh iphole for the next five years....

I think that I'll at least suggest it to someone....

It's the least the average taxpayer should expect...

MD and DO programs both lose about 7-10% of their first year classes. I can't comment on DPM programs b/c the stats are thrown off by our friends at NYCPM (since they only recently reunited w/ AACPM). I would guess that it is not as high as 20-25%, but I would guess that it is around 10%.

Dr_Feelgood said:
MD and DO programs both lose about 7-10% of their first year classes. I can't comment on DPM programs b/c the stats are thrown off by our friends at NYCPM (since they only recently reunited w/ AACPM). I would guess that it is not as high as 20-25%, but I would guess that it is around 10%.

This is about right. My first year, the DO class lost just about 10% of the starting class. Our class lost closer to 40%. However, nearly 20% of those were people who ended up in the class behind us because of problems with 1 or 2 classes. a bit more than 10% were people who decided to do something else (like transfer to another Podiatry program, or to a DO school.) The remaining close to 10% left for other reasons (similar to those from the DO program.)

The other thing that makes the percentages look so different is the number of students. With a class size of 50 each student = 2%. The DO class had 200 making each student 0.5%. I'm sure the numbers are similar for most of the schools.

jonwill said:

Actually, Podiatry schools accepted only MCAT scores up until 1999 (Class of 2003). Starting the fall of 1999 (Class of 2004), Podiatry schools began considering other graduate exams (GRE, etc..) for admission, in addition to MCAT.

Dr_Feelgood said:

the class of 2006 started with about 80 students I think and are graduating 52.

Class 2007 started with about 88 and now have 71

Classes of 2008 and 2009 are in the 80-90 range.

that decision ws purely made by the "geniouses" in the administration (to leave the AA)

krabmas said:
that decision ws purely made by the "geniouses" in the administration (to leave the AA)

It is again one of those things that you don't fault the student, fault the system (administrators). What was their beef anywho?

Dr_Feelgood said:
It is again one of those things that you don't fault the student, fault the system (administrators). What was their beef anywho?

I used to know the answer to that but I forgot. something about $18,000 a year that bought absolutely nothing. And I think there was some other under the table reason, like NYCPM did not like the policies that AACPM set so they left to not have to follow them, again I do not remember what it was exactly.

I hope they don't make that dumb move again. It really made everyone hate us just like DMU and the boards a few years back.

krabmas said:
It really made everyone hate us just like DMU and the boards a few years back.

LOL. I thought everyone still hates us, at least that is what I was told. :D

Dr_Feelgood said:
LOL. I thought everyone still hates us, at least that is what I was told. :D

You mean that it is only DMU that thinks they are the best? I thought it was a unanomous decision voted on and won fair and square by DMU that they were the greatest... at least that is the message I get from all the posts here. :p

krabmas said:
You mean that it is only DMU that thinks they are the best? I thought it was a unanomous decision voted on and won fair and square by DMU that they were the greatest... at least that is the message I get from all the posts here. :p

Nah, its just biased school spirit. Its like I always tell my wife that my highschool was way better than her's eventhough her's won all the 5a sports championships and scholastic competitions. In reality, mine was in the ghetto and her's was in the "nice" part of town. I will never admit it though.

krabmas said:

We did hold a vote, didn't you get th memo. Also you need to start putting a cover letter on your TPX reports.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Haven't you seen Office Space?

I was only half paying attention the one time that I watched it.

And I know that they destroyed a printer out in the back.

krabmas said:
I was only half paying attention the one time that I watched it.

And I know that they destroyed a printer out in the back.

Looks like someone's got a case of the Mondays!

MurrayButler said:
Looks like someone's got a case of the Mondays!

is that another line from that stupid movie?

I guess I'll have to watch it just to keep up with SDN.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Haven't you seen Office Space?

Yeah, this is a movie that I must see also. The people I work with think I'm lame for not seeing this movie yet. They will refer a phase, ofcourse I don't get it and just go huh :confused: Their like haven't you seen Office Space? Office what? :confused: You know Office Space, the MOVIE :eek:

Working 60hrs a week has put my movie life on hold. I guess I should take one of these weekends off and watch a movie or something.

Dr_Feelgood said:

Dude where did you get that?

Its nowhere near 10%, more like 2%. Out of a typical class of 150 med students, they might lose 3 or 4 MAXIMUM