MCAT percentages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tideguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how to compare net MCAT scores nationally? Percentage scores for each sub-section separately were given in our official score report, but my friends and I were interested in seeing how we did nationally overall.

Members don't see this ad.

You probably have done this already, but what I did was took the percentage range given to me by the AAMC for each section, assigned a mid-point percentile between the high and low number as the number representing that section, and used that number (e.g. if your verbal was a 10 and the range was 85-75 percentile, use 80 as your percentile score) to calculate the averages of all three sections. I wouldn't include the writing sample score in this calculation since most adcoms won't either. In other words, if the mid point numbers for each of the three sections are 85, 80, and 75, your overall percentile rank would be 80. Hope that helps.

I would think that this method would tend to underestimate rankings. I'm not sure. Does anybody else have any ideas??

Members don't see this ad :)
Im afraid this system wont work out. An 11,11,11 would not have the same score according to your system as say a 8,13,12. Check it out yourself.

elsupremo is correct. There's no "total score" ranking exactly because an even score across all sections is "better" than a very lop-sided distribution, though both total scores are the same--for example, 10 10 10 is "better" than 6 13 11. Also, different schools weight the different sections (I've heard).

I agree, but I don't see any other way to do it.

There really isn't a way of finding out your percentile rank overall because there are no stats on overall scores. If you average out all your individual percentile ranks, you are assuming that individual scores are correlated with overall scores.