What percentage of applications have poor secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1141182

There is obviously no way to calculate this, but I was wondering how many applications have poorly written secondaries? I often see here that for PSs its a split of 90% meh 7% amazing 3% garbage, but can a bad secondary tank your application? What even makes for a "good" secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

A very high percentage of rejected applicants.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
In terms of what makes a good secondary, here are a few qualities of good secondary essays:

1) They complement and do not duplicate the primary application or the other secondary essays.
2) They answer the questions posed -- not the question from the secondary essays on the previous application you did.
3) They demonstrate fit with the school's program and mission.
4) They are well-written and coherent.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is obviously no way to calculate this, but I was wondering how many applications have poorly written secondaries?
In my experience, about 5% are bad.
I often see here that for PSs its a split of 90% meh 7% amazing 3% garbage, but can a bad secondary tank your application?
Yes. We note poor English, rambling thoughts, failure to answer prompts correctly, and multiple typos
What even makes for a "good" secondary.
See Linda's post above

Reactions: 2 users
And don't forget the small proportion of applicants who recycle an essay and forget to change the name of the school... or misspell the name. (oy!)

Reactions: 4 users