MCAT practice score improvement over last month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

blingbling

For people who have already taken the MCAT, what kind of score improvement on practice tests did you experience over the last month of studying? How much studying did you do during that last month?

For reference, I haven't been studying very much at all (10-15 hours a week for the past two months) and got a 9-10-11 on AAMC Practice Test 3 a couple of weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad.

I made the most improvement over the last month. From my last practice test (29) I went up 5 points on the real... you look straight right now knowledge-wise, just take hellified practice tests/passages now.

good luck
Simul

For the, the scores on the practice weren't a good indicator for my actual MCAT score. In the practice tests, was getting in the low 20s but ended up getting double digits in all three sections.

I think the reason for the disparity is that there is so much material that the test writers can draw from. So, to do well on the test, a lot of it is being well-prepared and partially some good luck in that you get a test that with passages that are familiar to you.

So, practice tests are useful in estimating your level of preparedness, but still study for hard these coming weeks. During my peak cram periods, about this time, I was studying about 6-8 hours a day just doing passages constantly. I spent relatively little time reviewing old material. I used the my incorrect answers from the passage as a springboard on material that I needed to review quickly at that moment.

Another point about the writing sample. If you don't know already, all the possible prompts are listed on their website. What I did was to go through the list and think of examples from current events or back in history that would support the statement and one to counter it. A lot of the examples that you think of will fit many different prompts. 30 mins for the writing sample does not give much time fore thinking, so have some stock examples before coming into the test.

I wish you and everyone else taking the test lotsa luck!

BB