Letter of Rec request over email and in person?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnwicksdog

Reaction score
I've decided which professors I wanted to ask for a LOR and I know it is best to do it in person but I got to a big school and they are all pretty busy people and since I'm not in their class anymore, I don't know when their office hours are or when they actually have time to discuss the LOR. Is it best to email them and kind of "cloak" my intentions basically just asking for an extended time I could drop by and then ask for the letter in person or is it fine to just email them a nice email asking for the letter and saying something "if you would be willing, I'd love to meet in person when you have time..etc." I was gonna do the latter but would appreciate some opinions, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Professors are busy. Treat us professionally as you want to be treated.

Succinct, straightforward emails are better than indirect asks. Don't be like junk mail or write to the LinkedIn algorithm.

Reactions: 1 user
If you haven't tried this yet, you should first try dropping by their offices a few different times to see if you're able to catch them in person. If that fails, then move to doing things over email. Make sure you're prepared with whatever information they need for doing your LORs when you go by, with a physical copy and email backup you can send.

Reactions: 1 user