MCAT Predictive Value and Top3 Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mojo.rogo

Reaction score
Hi all, I had a question. Due to a personal experience that nearly killed me, I had a pretty amazing personal story for my application this cycle and my stats 519/3.98 seemed great. I am URM and got some amazing interview invites. But my top school has MCAT medians of 522 and I see that my score would put me at the bottom 10% of the matriculating class. Though I excelled in the B/P/P sections, my Cars brought my score to sub520. Would having an MCAT so much lower than the top3's median hurt my chances, or would schools look at specific sections and possibly assume that the predictive power of the MCAT for med school success tops off at a certain score point? (Hoping that the predictive validity tops off at 519....)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I had a question. Due to a personal experience that nearly killed me, I had a pretty amazing personal story for my application this cycle and my stats 519/3.98 seemed great. I am URM and got some amazing interview invites. But my top school has MCAT medians of 522 and I see that my score would put me at the bottom 10% of the matriculating class. Though I excelled in the B/P/P sections, my Cars brought my score to sub520. Would having an MCAT so much lower than the top3's median hurt my chances, or would schools look at specific sections and possibly assume that the predictive power of the MCAT for med school success tops off at a certain score point? (Hoping that the predictive validity tops off at 519....)
What has been published shows that applicants with 500 MCATs are as successful in USMLE and graduation as those with 520s. 498 seems to be when there begins to be a difference.

I don't think you should worry about the MCAT predicting your graduation. Your student support for preclinical courses and the quality of your clinical education are more influential.

Reactions: 1 user
What has been published shows that applicants with 500 MCATs are as successful in USMLE and graduation as those with 520s. 498 seems to be when there begins to be a difference.

I don't think you should worry about the MCAT predicting your graduation. Your student support for preclinical courses and the quality of your clinical education are more influential.
Thank you for answering. I have been scouring AMCAS papers and reddit posts regarding this topic, so I do see what you mean in terms of predictive validity of the test when it comes to medical school success. And certainly, I have learned what compassionate and empathetic doctors do and how much of a difference they make for patients (like myself). I guess my question was regarding more how ADCOMs would see my stats. If you have personal experience with this: if I had a great story and these stats, along with service work I was truly passionate about and reflected in my essays, would my bottom 10% score hurt my chances for a top3 with such a high median score? Sorry if that was wordy, but you're and Admission Advisor so I figured you were the best source to ask. Thank you!

Thank you for answering. I have been scouring AMCAS papers and reddit posts regarding this topic, so I do see what you mean in terms of predictive validity of the test when it comes to medical school success. And certainly, I have learned what compassionate and empathetic doctors do and how much of a difference they make for patients (like myself). I guess my question was regarding more how ADCOMs would see my stats. If you have personal experience with this: if I had a great story and these stats, along with service work I was truly passionate about and reflected in my essays, would my bottom 10% score hurt my chances for a top3 with such a high median score? Sorry if that was wordy, but you're and Admission Advisor so I figured you were the best source to ask. Thank you!
Look, somebody has to be in the bottom 10th %ile, so why not you?

No matter where you go to med school, your salary as an attending will still be the same as someone who went to your dream school.

Also remember this:
“Dream schools are like dream girls: better in the abstract than reality”. –The exceptionally wise gyngyn

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look, somebody has to be in the bottom 10th %ile, so why not you?

No matter where you go to med school, your salary as an attending will still be the same as someone who went to your dream school.

Also remember this:
“Dream schools are like dream girls: better in the abstract than reality”. –The exceptionally wise gyngyn
Honestly you’re right and the dean did tell us that lol. The student support resources and curriculum from this particular school just seemed perfect and honestly, the second interview day webinars made me want to attend ever more than before. But you’re right and I’d be grateful for any acceptances. Thank you!

You had an interview already? Then why are you stressing? Relax, there's nothing more you can do. Ball's in their court.

• Love
Honestly you’re right and the dean did tell us that lol. The student support resources and curriculum from this particular school just seemed perfect and honestly, the second interview day webinars made me want to attend ever more than before. But you’re right and I’d be grateful for any acceptances. Thank you!
I'm pleased that the admissions team did their job. Keep reaching out (read their forum posts with appropriate skepticism) and network with students and alumni to be sure your dream is not a nightmare.

You had an interview already? Then why are you stressing? Relax, there's nothing more you can do. Ball's in their court.
You’re totally right and I’m grateful for even the opportunity to interview. Just wish I hadn’t bombed my interview haha. Thank you though and I guess now all I have to do is wait.

Someone has to be in the bottom 10% and if it is someone with your metrics (that would be in the top 10% at many schools), you are going to be fine regardless of where you matriculate as long as you stay healthy and work as hard (or harder) than you have thus far. You seem to have the right stuff to succeed wherever you matriculate.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Someone has to be in the bottom 10% and if it is someone with your metrics (that would be in the top 10% at many schools), you are going to be fine regardless of where you matriculate as long as you stay healthy and work as hard (or harder) than you have thus far. You seem to have the right stuff to succeed wherever you matriculate.
If I bombed my interview, could asking for a repeat be a viable option? I know the Dean said most students that ask for one do worse than before, but I didn't feel I was able to get across my attributes and experiences. Would adcoms look down upon a repeat interview?

applicants are very bad judges of their own interview performance. I would consider the ask to be a red flag and an indicator of someone who is lacks confidence and/or who may be high maintenance when it comes to assessments and evaluations of which there are many in medical school.

You can't change the past. Move forward with growth based on experience.

• Love
If I bombed my interview, could asking for a repeat be a viable option? I know the Dean said most students that ask for one do worse than before, but I didn't feel I was able to get across my attributes and experiences. Would adcoms look down upon a repeat interview?
First, stop obsessing. Move on. A repeat interview is granted only because the admissions office and leadership saw something that was not fair about your interview (like the internet crashed on you). We do not take requests because then we would have to redo everybody, and that just won't happen.

• Love
First, stop obsessing. Move on. A repeat interview is granted only because the admissions office and leadership saw something that was not fair about your interview (like the internet crashed on you). We do not take requests because then we would have to redo everybody, and that just won't happen.
You’re completely right. And my anxiety is gone now that I did much better on another interview this morning. This is my first time applying and I’m first Gen so I don’t have anyone to ask about this stuff and the first-interview anxiety got to me. Thank you again!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.