MCAT Prep Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need serious help. I did search the forums but was not able to get enough information to make an informed decision.

I am planning to take a prep course for an April 2013 MCAT and I need the course because I have tried everything else on my end. I took it 2x in 2009 and didn't take it as seriously (felt it wasn't a big deal) and did subpar. I started studying off and on last year with both intense and light studying for the year (50/50) using EK, TPRH set, and couple of BR books and figured if I focused and took it a lot seriously I would do better. I did improve by 4 points (22Q) but I feel I am missing something: test-taking. I have always done poorly on standardized test but I need to figure out why.

For those of you who took a prep course Kaplan or Princeton can you give me some insights? Also, for those who took the online versions of these courses, do you think it helped? I work full-time and am trying to find the best course for my buck because I only want to take the MCAT one last time and I am trying to get something that works for my 8-5 schedule (online vs in class).

Thank you for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think my PR hyperlearning class was really good for learning science logic from biology, ochem, gchem. It was really bad for physics and verbal, but for verbal you just need to practice passages consistently anyways. Physics was tough because I had to figure out ways to learn it, but there are plenty of youtube videos from khanacademy.org and freelance teach that you can just make up for it there.

The biggest criticisms that I've heard about PR, and consider legitimate, are that its PS content is way too hard, calculation heavy, and/or unnecessary, and that their verbal sucks. The course comes with AAMC tests and as long as you memorize formulas and practice you should be fine for PS, and like mentioned before, verbal is probably going to suck for most prep classes except probably the EK one since their verbal strategy is extremely good. I personally don't approve of the PR verbal strategy.

I think my PR hyperlearning class was really good for learning science logic from biology, ochem, gchem. It was really bad for physics and verbal, but for verbal you just need to practice passages consistently anyways. Physics was tough because I had to figure out ways to learn it, but there are plenty of youtube videos from khanacademy.org and freelance teach that you can just make up for it there.

The biggest criticisms that I've heard about PR, and consider legitimate, are that its PS content is way too hard, calculation heavy, and/or unnecessary, and that their verbal sucks. The course comes with AAMC tests and as long as you memorize formulas and practice you should be fine for PS, and like mentioned before, verbal is probably going to suck for most prep classes except probably the EK one since their verbal strategy is extremely good. I personally don't approve of the PR verbal strategy.

Thanks. I was using their prep books for my last take and the verbal strategy does suck. My test was calculations heavy for PS and it showed in my score because I got lower than my practices. Heavy calculations kill me everytime, so I definitely need to practice handling them better. I prefer BRs physics better. I need the structure and test-taking tips.

IS PR verbal really that bad?
I am was thinking about reading through PR verbal for tips, I am averaging about an 8 in verbal based off EK 1001.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've taken a Kaplan course, and normally I wouldn't recommend it, but they've done an overhaul on the course and it seems really top notch now.

IS PR verbal really that bad?
I am was thinking about reading through PR verbal for tips, I am averaging about an 8 in verbal based off EK 1001.

Well, it's a couple things that make me say that PR's verbal sucks:
-Their instructors are pretty bad at explaining the answer choices; a lot of the time they succumb to saying "it just sounds right/wrong."
-Half of the verbal classes are dedicated to writing, which is simply a waste imo.
-Their main technique is more of an advertising ploy than an effective technique. Skipping/guessing 1-2 whole passages is NEVER what you should be doing on the mcat, and picking and choosing is never good. It wastes time and neglects the fact that a lot of times hard passages are linked to easy questions. Also, you don't save much time by skipping 1-2 passages. Reading Qstems before reading the passage isn't so great either because you can get tricked into only looking for certain things vs. reading into the main theme of the passage as a whole.

PR's verbal books are helpful in that outside of what I just mentioned above, they have some good advice, and their practice passages can give you a sense of time management on more boring/convoluted passages. IMO EK's main verbal strategy is the best out of all the test prep verbal strategies.

On a side note, I have friends taking kaplan that have said that it improved tremendously. So you could look into that too.

I've taken a Kaplan course, and normally I wouldn't recommend it, but they've done an overhaul on the course and it seems really top notch now.

Have they? Everyone always complain about them. Did you recently take the MCAT and hit your target score? Thanks.

Keep the comments coming everyone.

Have they? Everyone always complain about them. Did you recently take the MCAT and hit your target score? Thanks.

Keep the comments coming everyone.

I took my test and voided.

I'd be lying if I said I put full effort into my Kaplan course.

I have TBR, EK, etc, but I'm really thinking about tossing that to the wayside and giving my Kaplan course 100% of my attention, though. I just don't like their books at all. Their instruction is hit or miss, but it's their online material that is pure gold.

My goal score is a 34+, and honestly I don't read all too often about Kaplan goers scoring that on here. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I read all damn day about TBR and PR users getting those scores.

Think carefully before you send all that money. Is that really what you need? ie what is it specifically that you're looking out of a tpr course. Is it the classroom instruction? that would be my main incentive IF I was looking for a course. Is it the online material or practice tests? There are better ones out there/don't require a class. For tpr you could but the content books minus verbal workbook/sci wkbk in bookstore and get some of the online material. Same questions go for considering kaplan. Doesn't sound like you're going mainly for the classroom experience since you're considering online. Plus, you're working and won't have that much time to commit. Will you simply be completing the stuff they tell you to do + a little more. Are you paying for the comfort of having everything planned for you. If yes, go ahead, but that doesn't guarantee a high score (although it might help).

What was your score breakdown. Was your verbal like a 5 or 6? Would the hours spent in the classroom on verbal be more useful than say finding and perfecting a strategy like EK's and practicing on ALL the material available (tbr+tprh+ek+ek lecture book+tpr elite+tpr verbal and writing+all of tpr online verbal psgs that come with the books)+ vr practice from every single fl you could get your hands on. I would personally do the latter, but hey, maybe would benefit more from a tutor. my .02
also, maybe you need to specifically target your testing weaknesses. Would you score a lot better if untimed? is it the anxiety? I'm sure the prep course teachers know a lot about that from experience, but other people might know some too. Since it's your last attempt hopefully, pick and choose what works for you to do well on the mcat.

I never considered dropping that much money on a prep course. Luckily, my father bought one for me as a gift (and an education write off).

I took one online course, and thought it to be OK, but I can honestly say I got out of it what I put in: not much.

I just enrolled in a new section starting the end of this month, and I'm giving this one my all. I have TBR, EK books etc, but I'm going to go with Kaplan for this one. I do dislike their books, though, so my plan of attack is to use the corresponding EK books for each chapter, then do the online work. I'll go into TBR for more practice, or if I need more detail.

I've spent so much time devising a study plan. I'm just going to follow instructions instead.

I know I need the class structure. Also, I need someone to give me tips along the way for solving calculations faster and handling test questions. On practice tests, I found myself getting the answer down to 2 choices and simply failed at recognizing the best answer (theory questions mostly). My practice science scores ranged from 8-10, so I figured I may need more test-taking skills to select the best answer while also reinforcing concepts from an expert in those subjects. I got 6 PS 7 VR 9 BS. That August 4th tests was brutal and I felt the BS section was worst too. My weaknesses are TOO MANY CALCULATIONS, PHYSICS, AND ORGO. That test had mostly chemistry, but the calculations were ridiculous, so I guessed a lot to keep pace. I kept getting 5/6 on VR, so when I voided July 6th due to VR, I practiced using Economist, NY Times, etc to help with humanities passages. I have tried everything else, so this is the last solutions. I made a schedule and everything.

Of course, working full-time doesn't help, but I have bills and need food, so I can't take a leave of absence. I started my new job when I began my prep. I was debating between online and course due to scheduling conflicts. I think Kaplan may be better for scheduling an in-class course. However, my boss keeps encouraging me to take princeton review and did tell me he would let me leave early to drive 1.5-2 hrs to the class, so I have supporters. I hate to leave work early, but if it is ok with him, then it will have to be ok with me. I currently work at a medical school. It's more personal for me to do well.

Last edited:
I know how you feel aspiringdoc. I'm taking 17 hours and work almost full time. Everyone tells me to quit my job, and I tell them that if they pay my car note and my insurance/rent then I'd be happy to.

SDN seems to be very anti-prep course at times. I say go for it. It seems that it would fit your situation quite well. They're very expensive, but I think that you will get a log of good out of it if you invest the time and energy necessary to overcome your score.

Driving 2 hours to the class? Not this guy. Look into Kaplan's Anywhere classes. I was very skeptical at first, but as long as you do it in a quite room with no distractions it does have a classroom feel to it with the live instructor and all.

I will say, though, that Kaplan probably won't be much help in the Verbal department.

I know how you feel aspiringdoc. I'm taking 17 hours and work almost full time. Everyone tells me to quit my job, and I tell them that if they pay my car note and my insurance/rent then I'd be happy to.

SDN seems to be very anti-prep course at times. I say go for it. It seems that it would fit your situation quite well. They're very expensive, but I think that you will get a log of good out of it if you invest the time and energy necessary to overcome your score.

Driving 2 hours to the class? Not this guy. Look into Kaplan's Anywhere classes. I was very skeptical at first, but as long as you do it in a quite room with no distractions it does have a classroom feel to it with the live instructor and all.

I will say, though, that Kaplan probably won't be much help in the Verbal department.

TPR has an online course too. That's why I was trying to differentiate the difference between the online and in-class for both companies to see if I would have similar benefits if I do take it online. I was planning to sit in the library or make an office in my house to get the classroom feel. Yeah, that's what I was concerned about too because it is 1.5-2 hrs one way depending on traffic (after 4 pm). So I would drive 4 hrs total 3 days minimum.

So I posted a note earlier, but just finished an MCAT prep program with Top Test Prep. I want to say first... they are a much more expensive option than most MCAT prep companies, but if you can afford it: go with them. VERY much recommend TTP's program.