1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MCAT prep-courses comparision

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by zess02, 05.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
?

Best MCAT prep-course

1. Kaplan

10.0%
  2. Princeton

60.0%
  3. Examcracker

20.0%
  4. Other (please comment)

10.0%
  1. zess02

zess02 Zessie

Pre-Medical
    Hello,

I know this topic has been brought up multiple times but most of them are out-dated. Please let me know your opinions on the following 3 courses if you have taken them or heard about it from other people. Here are what I found from researching around:

Kaplan: I heard this one sucks, the classroom is useless
    Princeton: Review the material deeper and better in preping the verbal section
    Examcracker: does great job on verbal section

I am open to other option as well so please feel free to recommend any other course.

Thank you!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Pacna

Pacna Dyslexics, untie! 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took a TPR course and loved it. Did very well.

4. justAstudent

justAstudent SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I also took a TPR course and thought it was very helpful.

5. zess02

zess02 Zessie

Pre-Medical
    May I ask what score did you get?

Thanks

6. zess02

zess02 Zessie

Pre-Medical
    Do you mind letting me know what score you got?

Thanks!

7. Pacna

Pacna Dyslexics, untie! 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think you should use such a small sample size to make a comparison/decision. All of the programs will presumably improve your score nearly identically if you follow the course.

However, I've revealed my score in the past on this site, so I'll save you a search. 36.

8. MaybeDr

MaybeDr 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Avoid Kaplan. They don't screen their teachers well enough. I speak from experience.
    If you are looking for quality teachers go for TPR. They have a ridiculous amount of tiers to their classroom teachers that insures that they have good people.

If money doesn't matter for you. I would invest in Kaplan's online materials. They have so much it'll be a great source for when you get down to taking FLs and building the skills. Purchase it on top of other things in my opinion.

I would really go all out in materials. Get everything you can get your hands on. I acquired a lot, I mean a lot materials very cheaply. Some people don't suggest it but it's your MCAT it determines a lot. I used Kaplan's online course, TPR (everything), and EK 101. I stopped showing to Kaplan's class because my teacher was hopeless. It a gamble with Kaplan.

9. sunflower18

sunflower18 Master of Naps 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I liked TPR also. My physics teacher had a PhD in physics from Stanford -- it was amazing, because I really needed help on PS. My baseline PS score was 6 or 7 and I raised it to an 11 on the real deal with the help of the TPR course. The bio teacher was also very good (accepted MD/PhD student), and helped me raise my BS score from initially 8 to 12 on the real test.

10. zess02

zess02 Zessie

Pre-Medical
    Thanks everyone for great responses so far. I will take your them into concern! Much appreciated!

11. mehc012

mehc012 Big Damn Hero 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I mean, you basically summed it up in your OP, not sure why responses were even needed at that point. 2-3 points of anecdotal evidence really doesn't add much...
    Also, what's with the emphasis on Verbal from a prep course? Verbal is the part you practice, practice, practice, not the part you learn material from a teacher on.

12. Ismet

Ismet PGY-fun SDN Administrator 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Moving to MCAT discussions

About the ads