MCAT prep-courses comparision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turquoise_llama

MS0
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know this topic has been brought up multiple times but most of them are out-dated. Please let me know your opinions on the following 3 courses if you have taken them or heard about it from other people. Here are what I found from researching around:

Kaplan: I heard this one sucks, the classroom is useless
Princeton: Review the material deeper and better in preping the verbal section
Examcracker: does great job on verbal section

I am open to other option as well so please feel free to recommend any other course.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask what score did you get?

Thanks

I don't think you should use such a small sample size to make a comparison/decision. All of the programs will presumably improve your score nearly identically if you follow the course.

However, I've revealed my score in the past on this site, so I'll save you a search. 36.

Avoid Kaplan. They don't screen their teachers well enough. I speak from experience.
If you are looking for quality teachers go for TPR. They have a ridiculous amount of tiers to their classroom teachers that insures that they have good people.

If money doesn't matter for you. I would invest in Kaplan's online materials. They have so much it'll be a great source for when you get down to taking FLs and building the skills. Purchase it on top of other things in my opinion.

I would really go all out in materials. Get everything you can get your hands on. I acquired a lot, I mean a lot materials very cheaply. Some people don't suggest it but it's your MCAT it determines a lot. I used Kaplan's online course, TPR (everything), and EK 101. I stopped showing to Kaplan's class because my teacher was hopeless. It a gamble with Kaplan.

I liked TPR also. My physics teacher had a PhD in physics from Stanford -- it was amazing, because I really needed help on PS. My baseline PS score was 6 or 7 and I raised it to an 11 on the real deal with the help of the TPR course. The bio teacher was also very good (accepted MD/PhD student), and helped me raise my BS score from initially 8 to 12 on the real test.

Thanks everyone for great responses so far. I will take your them into concern! Much appreciated!
I mean, you basically summed it up in your OP, not sure why responses were even needed at that point. 2-3 points of anecdotal evidence really doesn't add much...
Also, what's with the emphasis on Verbal from a prep course? Verbal is the part you practice, practice, practice, not the part you learn material from a teacher on.