MCAT PREP FROM FRESHMAN YEAR A GOOD IDEA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lasofloxabuterol

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing a MCAT review set so that while I am taking my pre-reqs I can challenge myself with review questions and prep while I take each class which will hopefully help in better preparing for the exam. Considering I am a freshman with a strong GPA for my first semester do you think this would be excessive? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking of purchasing a MCAT review set so that while I am taking my pre-reqs I can challenge myself with review questions and prep while I take each class which will hopefully help in better preparing for the exam. Considering I am a freshman with a strong GPA for my first semester do you think this would be excessive? Thanks!

Dont do this. Focus on your classes and start prep closer to the time you actually plan to take the MCAT, AFTER most of your prereqs are done.

I think its fine as long as you don't let it affect your grades. Instead, I would recommend reading scientific journals and learning how to decipher them. Also, it would be helpful to read dense CARS-like passages to familiarize yourself with that (no need to do any questions, but you can find CARS passages using google). If you can start your MCAT prep already being able to digest dense passages you will be ahead of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

I vote that this is a bad idea, you're gonna get tired.

Edit: agree w @Cornfed101 though - getting a head start on learning how to decipher scientific journals is something you can start now. Still think you shouldn't worry too much on specific subject prep/review this early but, considering how many people struggle with CARS, if you want to do anything its never too early to start picking up more non-science reading.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also agree with the above. My comment was more toward actual MCAT studying. Learning how to CARS is a great idea.

I have to disagree with the other comments. I was like you my freshman year, and asked my advisors and a couple of professors if I can start studying for the mcat my freshman year. They all said no. Right now I am in the position of retaking the mcat. I really wish I did not take the advice, and bought TBR C/P books my freshman year, and used those as I studied for my classes. I really think I would have nailed it the first time. I would offer you a unpopular advice of buying TBR b/b and c/p books now, and work through them side by side with your classes. For cars, maybe take a ethics/humanities course that involves lots of analyzing of dense passages. When it comes time to study for a couple dedicated months, you will be golden. If you can do both, without dropping your gpa I really think it will help you in the long run.

Your freshman year should be dedicated to getting a strong GPA, because that is as important as (more important at some schools than) your MCAT score. If you choose to do anything MCAT beneficial, it would be to start a journal and write to future you the purpose and key procedural steps for every lab experiment you do over your first two to three years of college. The MCAT is about understanding lab procedures and experimental design, so make it a point to master that.

As far as MCAT review sets go, because the MCAT does not cover material as much or go into as much detail as coursework, it may be counterproductive to spend time on MCAT materials for coursework. Skimming select topics and working through sample problems could be helpful, but never as helpful as working through old midterms and finals, as far as getting a good grade goes.

No. I know you’re passionate about medicine, but a lot of people who are just as passionate as you ended up choosing a different path outside of medicine for a variety of reasons. Take this time to make sure you want to be a doctor by volunteering in hospice or some other form where you can have direct contact with sick patients. Find a non-profit where you can volunteer- something you think is important. It doesn’t have to be related to medicine at all. As a matter of fact, it may look better if it isn’t medicine related if you’re passionate about it and can talk about it in an interview. Shadow a variety of doctors. It’s harder then you think to find opportunities. Shake hands with some professors too and try to join their research labs now so you have the opportunity to lead your own projects later. Doing these things not only helps your application incredibly, it will show you if you really want this. The more you do of these activities now, the more time you’ll have to study for the MCAT later and the stronger your application will be.

I agree with stanfordhereiam on this one. I used the TBR books for my last two quarters of organic and physics my sophomore year, and I swear that is the whole reason I got As. I got more from their books than my professors. I tried out a couple different books on loan from my big sib to help decide what I would use for review that upcoming summer and fell in love with the way TBR presented that material. It helped me in those classes and it helped me to start MCAT review early so I was more productive at the start of the summer when I dove into hardcore MCAT mode.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, but don't let it stop you from working if you work, getting straight A's, doing research if you have the opportunity, volunteering somewhere every so often, and shadowing physicians every so often. I also recommend using the official MCAT content list from the AAMC website to guide you. Every review company will have holes in their content review so use them for what their good for and scrap them when you detect garbage.

Reactions: 1 user