mcat prep! help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaulKu34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi does anyone know how to best study for teh mcat?

what courses or books are good? TPR, audio osmosis, Kaplan, aamc?

would i be able to get practice exams from all four of these sites?

Also, does anyone happen to know what audio osmosis is and what's it good for? Does this have practice exams?

also, would anyone want to sell the books to me? let me know. tahnks

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Paul,

I knew three people who got 41s. From what I garnered from them:
1) to get the score ya gotta put in the time. One of them stayed in on college thursday, friday, and saturday nights to study for the MCAT. I went out during those times and now I am writing in this forum while he is a doctor now.
2) Repetively simulate the test environment. One of them went to the law library every Saturday morning with a full MCAT test and her lunch. She proceed to take the entire test, even simulating the exact times between the sections, as well as even when she would eat lunch. She did this for eight Saturdays before the actual MCAT. As you can imagine, by the time the real MCAT rolled around her body was mentally and physiologically primed for high performance.
3) Know yourself. If you don't have discipline to study on your own, take a prep course like Kaplan where you are forced to put in the time or will at least feel guily for throwing away $1500 if you don't. If you have the discipline, but you have a weak to moderate grasp of the basic science disicplines, take a prep course anyway. All three of my friends had a strong grasp on the sciences so they were really only reviewing their science knowledge and practicing their testtaking.

Good luck

hey paul,

i took that mcat 3 times. honestly, dont trust kaplan materials. their course is too slow in teaching the materials. by the time they finish the last lecture, you will have only 2 weeks left before the mcat.

anyway, use examkrackers. trust me on this on. they are the best and they only specialize in the mcat. buy the complete package from EK ($100) and buy their 101 passages in verbal reasoning ($26).

you will be guaranteed a 10 on verbal if you do the practice and work. study from EK and you will be very prepared.

however, one thing that is very important is that you practice and familiarize with the test. you can know all the content, but TIMING and PACE is very, very important. it's overlooked by 8 out of 10 students and most students end up retaking because they don't finish.

i would recommend solving this problem by investing in the real AAMC practice tests, from 3R - 8R. search ebay and you can get all the practice, genuine tests for about $10.... all in pdf files... so you can repeat them as many times as you want...