MCAT Prep Materials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twocentnews

Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on MCAT prep. I will take a course if I find it's necessary, but what about the self-help books? I have a copy of the Barron's book, but which one(s) the best? Which do you recommend?

Thanks for the help! :D

(X-posted at the DO forum)

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone seems to find the exam krackers series very helpful

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I purchased all of the Examkrackers topic books and the 1001 questions books. I self-studied along with these and all of the AAMC practice tests. Just make sure if/when you take practice tests, you do them under the same conditions as the real thing (10 min breaks, etc.) and go over at least every question you got wrong or were unsure of, if not all of them.

For areas where I was fuzzy (such as acid/base chemistry, etc.) I read over the corresponding section in the Examkrackers text and then did a bunch of problems on that particular topic in the 1001 questions book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Barron's book is a waste of money... Its on SDN's DO NOT USE book list...

VR/Bio- EK
Orgo/Phy/Chem-BR
TPR hyper learning book

^thats the general conclusion about what material to use.

Biology: 1. EK Bio + EK 1001 Bio, non-detail oriented 1. BR/TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

I totally agree with SN2ed... BR books great for Physical Sciences and Organic Chemistry..

Look on SDN's other threads.. there is some golden advice buried all over this site.. you just have to find it :)

Thanks for the advice.

I looked into EK, and how does the complete package (5-vol) one sound? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1893858499 - Anyone used that one?

The EK complete package is the way to go. I bought other materials, but ended up almost exclusively using my EK books. And of course, BE SURE to buy all the AMCAS online tests, they are critical (and save 2-3 tests for the month before you take the MCAT for real; your score will be an average of these, trust me).

I'm selling my EK complete package from last year (plus my kaplan book, flashcards, other stuff) on ebay right now if you are interested.

ExamKrackers and Kaplan are good choices. Good luck
2.gif