MCAT Prep Stress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, heres my situation. I have been studying material since the beginning of christmas break. I read through the Kaplan books in the middle of december. Then began EK VR 101, then Read through the Kaplan Books again, this time taking notes on weaknesses, highlighting ect....Made flash cards, memorized formulas. Now I am in the kaplan class, Prior to class, I do the assigned reading. ( even though Ive read through it 2 X previously) and complete the workshops. Starting last saturday, I began taking full lengths. My ordeal is this. I think I am burning out and getting into cruise control. I KNOW the material, is it safe for me to say that now, all I need to focus on is practice passages and full lengths? Another problem I am concerned about, is that I know the concepts very well but the Kaplan section exams OWN me. Advice comments welcome !

:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Advice: chill out. You say you already know the material? Why are you taking a Kaplan course? I think you should relax for a little and then lay out a plan to take nothing but practice tests until test day. Everyone is different and that is simply what would work for me.

How would you rate the Kaplan VR versus other prep tests? I took a VR practice test by ARCO and scored 2 points higher than I did on the Kaplan. I also finished 10 min. early.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would you rate the Kaplan VR versus other prep tests? I took a VR practice test by ARCO and scored 2 points higher than I did on the Kaplan. I also finished 10 min. early.

The kaplan VR book is terrible. The passages are LONG. The kaplan web based stuff that you get with the course is ok. To me it just doesnt seem like it reflects the AAMC exams at all. EK gets it pretty close with their passages and question format. I have not heard of ARCO before, cant comment on that.

Thanks. ARCO is just some book that I found at the local library. It is probably 10 yrs old. I figured that since it is free it can't hurt.

I have all the EK books coming next week. I can't wait. I am so tired of just reading through the Kaplan. I need something to reinforce the material and from what I heard, EK does just that. Have you had a good experience with EK?

Thanks. ARCO is just some book that I found at the local library. It is probably 10 yrs old. I figured that since it is free it can't hurt.

I have all the EK books coming next week. I can't wait. I am so tired of just reading through the Kaplan. I need something to reinforce the material and from what I heard, EK does just that. Have you had a good experience with EK?

Yeah, in August I had just moved into my new apartment, and couldnt get internet or anything for a week. So with nothing to do, I went through the EK physics and chemistry, and part of Orgo. The way they present the material is different though. The problems are less calculation intense and more concept. (IMO, more like the MCAT). But Ive had the time, so I have looked over both books. I made formula cards from going through the EK. There easier to find, (there in red) and they give you the ones you need to know.

Diverdoc,

You said that you were studying abroad, but where do you plan on going to apply? I noticed that you have DO in your profile. Are you definately going the DO route?

Diverdoc,

You said that you were studying abroad, but where do you plan on going to apply? I noticed that you have DO in your profile. Are you definately going the DO route?

Huh? studying abroad? And yeah Im pretty sure Im going D.O. route.

Alright, heres my situation. I have been studying material since the beginning of christmas break. I read through the Kaplan books in the middle of december. Then began EK VR 101, then Read through the Kaplan Books again, this time taking notes on weaknesses, highlighting ect....Made flash cards, memorized formulas. Now I am in the kaplan class, Prior to class, I do the assigned reading. ( even though Ive read through it 2 X previously) and complete the workshops. Starting last saturday, I began taking full lengths. My ordeal is this. I think I am burning out and getting into cruise control. I KNOW the material, is it safe for me to say that now, all I need to focus on is practice passages and full lengths? Another problem I am concerned about, is that I know the concepts very well but the Kaplan section exams OWN me. Advice comments welcome !

:eek:

It sounds like you're ready to focus on practice tests/questions etc. You seem like you know the material and this test is really about APPLYING your knowledge, so if I were you I would focus on practicing that. When you go over the answers you got wrong you reinforce the concepts you're shaky on. After you read the explanations, go back to that material and review it again.