MCAT preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Audman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay... I am about 2 years (actually little less than that) from having to worry about taking the MCAT.

have just completed Bio I and Chem I... Bio II and Chem II next semester (Upcoming Spring Semester). and oCHem I and II and physics I and II following year....

how should I begin preparing for the MCAT? obviously besides the verbal?

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay... I am about 2 years (actually little less than that) from having to worry about taking the MCAT.

have just completed Bio I and Chem I... Bio II and Chem II next semester (Upcoming Spring Semester). and oCHem I and II and physics I and II following year....

how should I begin preparing for the MCAT? obviously besides the verbal?

thanks!!

its a good idea to finish the pre-reqs first and then move on to mcat prep materials.

its a good idea to finish the pre-reqs first and then move on to mcat prep materials.

^Agreed. Though there are some things that you an do now while you're taking the prerequisite courses. During the time you spend in these classes, take special note of concepts and ideas that are popular subjects for testing on the MCAT. So, it may be beneficial for you to start learning what topics are more tested than other topics. It is important to really master these topics and the subject material surrounding it NOW while you're in the course. Think of your prerequisite classes as MCAT prep courses for the respective section. If done correctly, not only will you earn a high letter grade, but you will not have to do much content review when it is time to study for the MCAT. Take the time to master the material now and you won't have to do it later. When it comes time to study for the MCAT, only a very quick review will be needed and the bulk of your prep will be learning the format of MCAT passages and questions. While in the prerequisite courses, utilize all of the tools you have such as office hours, etc. When learning various concepts, continue to ask yourself "why" things are happening and try to find ways that different concepts are linked to one another. This type of thinking will help you come MCAT time. Hope this helps.

Thank you. I really appreciate the help. I think that could really help!!

yes use your time wisely. i would finish prereqs first and even take upper level classes, such as gentetics, human physiology, biochemistry, since I heard they help the most. I didnt take the MCAT yet but thats what I've been hearing from ppl here... good luck