Mcat Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those of you that have taken the aamc tests, which did you find to be the most like the real thing? I just took the aamc 4 bio section..... I feel violated:(

I would most in the mcat forum but most people who have already taken it dont go there.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Cerberus
Those of you that have taken the aamc tests, which did you find to be the most like the real thing? I just took the aamc 4 bio section..... I feel violated:(

I would most in the mcat forum but most people who have already taken it dont go there.

It feels easier than the real thing, but I guess the curve was harder on it. I think the real thing is even more conceptual. The verbal is hard as always.

6 probably most realistic, 5 being harder.

aamc 4, 5, 6 are all indicative of the real thing. the good thing is, you have plenty of time still.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'd say they're all pretty real in terms of gauging your performence. Personally, I used them to see where I was more towards the end of the road. For starters, use the Kaplan ones if you have access to them. Do 5 or 6 of those on your own and then do an AMCAS here and there to see how you're improving and what you need help on.

I think i may have just fallen apart at the end of it. I was doing really well then a friend called and I helped her with computer problems for 45 minutes after which my brain seemed dead and I missed a ton of problems (most of the ones i missed).

Honestly, I had days of doubt. It all felt like too much, at times. I'm sure that most of us have had doubts. But we got through it. You will too.

i think i scored something l ike 2/3 points (total score) higher on the actual mcat than my VI practice test. you have LOTS of time...i went up many points from IV, which is took sometime in late Jan/feb. good luck!!!!

Originally posted by loomis
i think i scored something l ike 2/3 points (total score) higher on the actual mcat than my VI practice test. you have LOTS of time...i went up many points from IV, which is took sometime in late Jan/feb. good luck!!!!

The reason i am somewhat concerned now is that in a few weeks racing season starts full on and that means i can kiss weekends goodbye as study days:(

IV was closest to predicting my actual score. But in the end, it's all a crock of chance.

for what it's worth i agree with other posters that 5 and 6 are very close to the actual exam and should be saved til very near the mcat date. from my and my friends' experiences, it seems that the score on the actual test should be a good few points higher than aamc#6. (my jump was 6 points from aamc #6 to actual, and took #6 one week before the mcat)

your score will also depend on the subjects that are tested. i scored really high on exams that covered certain subjects, like molecular bio and cell structure and fct.

AAMC 4,5,6 are extremely good indicators of your actual score, as far as Ive experienced and heard from others.

I guess I will finish taking aamc 4 then save the rest till right before the exam. Where can I get the kaplan tests, they dont have them listed to buy at their webpage:(

I took 2 AAMC tests within 2 weeks of the real MCAT, I think #s 4 and 5. I did 2 points better on one than the other, then split the difference on the real thing.

As far as "feel" goes, they felt pretty much like the real one.

Try not to worry too much about the Kaplan, or princeton test scores, they dont' reflect the mcat accuratley. I would suggest focusing in on your strategy and time rather than the score you get. Take 5R and 6R seriously..they are accurate my score was witin 2 points of both of those. I took it last april and got 10+ in every section. DON"T LET PEOPLE SCARE YOU.. IT IS MUCH EASIER THAN THEY MAKE IT OUT TO BE. I wish someone had told me that before i took it...so i could have been more relaxed. Good luck guys..i'm sure you'll be fine.. any questions just holla.

I also took aamc MCAT 4R on the weekend. I didn?t do well. I don?t know if that me or the test is really hard. I have been study for MCAT since beginning of January of this year.

Hey Cerberus,

How was your score?