MCAT Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Talula21

Welcome to the Program
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I am not trolling so please read the whole question before judging. I just took a practice AAMC MCAT. I got a 30 (10BS, 11PS, 9VR). That is WAY better than I ever expected to do. I've been studying since January 1 but I only study once a week (about 6 hours every Saturday). This was the first full length test I've taken although I've taken some just BS or just PS non-timed tests. I know I am not just inherently smart :laugh: , so here is my question....how much harder can I expect the real thing to be? (Keep in mind that I have yet to take OCHEM II and PhysicsII) Thanks for any advice/input.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought those diagnositic tests from Princeton Review were pretty realistic. But keep studying, hopefully you can score even higher.

Talula21 said:
Hey all. I am not trolling so please read the whole question before judging. I just took a practice AAMC MCAT. I got a 30 (10BS, 11PS, 9VR). That is WAY better than I ever expected to do. I've been studying since January 1 but I only study once a week (about 6 hours every Saturday). This was the first full length test I've taken although I've taken some just BS or just PS non-timed tests. I know I am not just inherently smart :laugh: , so here is my question....how much harder can I expect the real thing to be? (Keep in mind that I have yet to take OCHEM II and PhysicsII) Thanks for any advice/input.

I took an AAMC practice MCAT a week before the real one. My real MCAT was 5 points lower.

However, when I came back to take it in August, it was only 1 point lower.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talula21 said:

I was always told the rule of thumb that if you consistently (i.e. more than 3 full lengths) scored around a certain score, you could probably expect to score within 2 points of that number (either higher or lower) on the real test. My own experience supported this as well. However I don't think you could draw much conclusion from just one test -- you could have just gotten a test in which more questions were in your wheelhouse of knowledge.

Which aamc test was it? If it was 3 or below, it isn't representative at all. They are way too easy. 4 through 6 were pretty realistic...For me it was like...

4 - 31
5 - 30
6 - 31
7 - 29

Real - 30

i'd say getting a 30 on the practice test is a good indicator that you can expect to do at least that well on the real test. i will caution, however, that practice tests are often poor indicators of actual performance. my practice scores were much lower than my actual score and many of my friends also had practice scores that did not reflect their actual scores.

so i'd take this practice test score as a sign that you're probably doing ok, but definately don't stop studying.

good luck,
s

well i got a 31 on AAMC 3R, and a 22 on the kaplan diag. haven't taken the real one yet, but i wouldn't get overconfident on the 30.

Take the average of your scores after taking all the AAMC practice tests (3R-7R). This will give you a pretty accurate projected score on the real deal, give or take a point or two. But don't take them all now - save at least three practice tests for further down the road when you have completed most of your preparation and want to hone your skills and work on timing and endurance.

My scores on 3R-7R were all over the place between 27-35.
Average: 30.4.
Aug 2004 MCAT: 30 :thumbup:

nice job on the 30! but i was wondering which form of the AAMC exam you took? i remember 5R was the easiest and most of the people i studied with did the best on that one. 6R was the hardest (in my opinion) and i thought the actual mcat was probably closer to the 6R. definitely don't get too confident about a higher score on practice mcats... i know a few people who rocked their diags but were very disappointed with their real mcat score. keep practicing and take as MANY full length, properly timed practice exams as you can. good luck! :luck:

Talula21 said:
I took the Princeton Review. My Mcat score was 2 points higher on VR and BS, and 1 point lower on PS than my AAMC practice MCAT's (3-7). I think because I became over confident on PS and stop studying it to focus more on VR. My advice is don't stop studying and you will do close to the same. Main thing is stay cool during the test. I freaked during PS because I forgot to start my timer. This may have something to do with my lower score, but it was also freaking hard. I hate PS. :smuggrin: The BS section of the actual MCAT April and August 2004 were way harder than any practice exam. It seemed to be more application than basic facts. Good Luck. :luck: