MCAT Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Kaplan the best company to use? Seems like it is the best. I'm not sure what I should do. I plan on probably attending medical school in 2018 and studying the MCAT for like a year because I know I will need it. What edition should I get? And should I purchase Kaplan's books? I will be graduating likely in Fall of 2016. I need to get a lot of hours as a CNA and study a lot. Just didn't know what others did if they waited a year. Did they buy a year old or couple of year old book and then study that and wait till they were ready to buy the practice exams. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @Dhooy7

The MCAT was recently updated so if you buy a 2015 MCAT book it should not be that different if you buy a 2016 MCAT book.

I would recommend that you do practice exams after you have done 3 or 4 weeks of studying if you have not seen the topics on the MCAT recently. This will let you know what areas you need to focus more on to get the score you want. Then study on the topics you are weak on and then take another practice test.

You should also look at the different number of questions per topic on the MCAT to see where you should focus more of your attention studying. Psychology is new to the MCAT and is a large part of the exam. Also, Biology is a large part of the exam.

Good luck studying.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not always the best on exams but I'm actually most worried for the critical analysis because it is very challenging to study for this section.

I used Kaplan and did quite well for whatever that is worth. Honestly I doubt it matters exactly which books you use, its more about the time you put in.