MCAT-Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Breno58

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not even close to taking the MCAT yet, However, I Got a couple questions?
1.How does a person make a high score on the physical science portion if they have never had physics?? Doesn't seem like something you can teach yourself
2. To me the MCAT seems like 50% is knowledge and the other 50% is how fast you can read!! :scared: I'm usually the last student to turn a test in cause I take my time
3.For the pre-med students who major in non-science majors-How in the world do they pass this thing? I personally know a psych major and she got a good score on the test? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

1. By taking physics. You might be able to pull off teaching yourself biology but physics and chemistry are classes you should definitely take. It'll be really, really hard to teach yourself enough to be comfortable.

2. Practice. Most of the questions in my review material are routine. Once you recognize how to set up and solve the problems it's not too difficult.

3. Studying and practicing a lot, I'm guessing.

1. By taking physics. You might be able to pull off teaching yourself biology but physics and chemistry are classes you should definitely take. It'll be really, really hard to teach yourself enough to be comfortable.

2. Practice. Most of the questions in my review material are routine. Once you recognize how to set up and solve the problems it's not too difficult.

3. Studying and practicing a lot, I'm guessing.

Thanks for the reply....Biology is my favorite subject, however, math is one subject that I detest! And I heard physics is alot of hard math basically.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply....Biology is my favorite subject, however, math is one subject that I detest! And I heard physics is alot of hard math basically.
There's a lot of math in the physics course, but you only have to know a couple equations on the MCAT. The challenge is figuring out what equation is needed when, right after figuring out wth the passage and questions are asking you. :|

I'm not even close to taking the MCAT yet, However, I Got a couple questions?
1.How does a person make a high score on the physical science portion if they have never had physics?? Doesn't seem like something you can teach yourself
2. To me the MCAT seems like 50% is knowledge and the other 50% is how fast you can read!! :scared: I'm usually the last student to turn a test in cause I take my time
3.For the pre-med students who major in non-science majors-How in the world do they pass this thing? I personally know a psych major and she got a good score on the test? :confused:

1. Take physics
2. It's more passage-based but background knowledge is essential in order to quickly digest the information. Think of it as knowing certain facts, reading more detailed information related to those facts, putting them together, and applying them.
3. I've heard that humanities majors(if you are one) actually tend to score better on the verbal reasoning section due to the dense material they are required to read for their degree. If this is you, you can rest easy knowing that the most important section of the exam will be the easiest for you!(It's still no cakewalk you will have to work hard each day, but VR is hardest to improve while you can jump 2-3 points in PS/BS by having content mastery)

Good luck!

Sounds good...Ill just suffer through the math! Im far away from taking my upper level science classes though. Should I take one physics class or take a few to "master" the content? However, I dont want the class lowering my GPA so I need an A

Should I take one physics class or take a few to "master" the content?

I can only assume that you're taking the MCAT so that you can apply to medical school. Most medical schools require the equivalent of two semesters of physics. Find out which physics classes at your college are designed for pre-med students and take those.