MCAT Scheduling. Need Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteCoatSyndrome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am looking to settle this once and for all. I need help deciding on when I am going to take the MCAT. I am currently a sophomore and my professors are all urging me to take it the spring of my junior year so that way I can have some physiology and genetics courses under my belt, but if I were to do this that would mean that I would have to study for the MCAT during the semester and if I wanted to take a prep course it would have to happen during this time as well. I have also heard that taking the MCAT at the end of the summer before my junior year starts is good because you can spend the entire summer studying, but with this I would have no upper-division science courses completed.

Which is the best route? Would taking the MCAT in the spring of my junior year be too difficult because of how much I would have going on with school? I know this is different from person to person, but opinions are welcome. Also, when should I start studying formally with each route?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, I am looking to settle this once and for all. I need help deciding on when I am going to take the MCAT. I am currently a sophomore and my professors are all urging me to take it the spring of my junior year so that way I can have some physiology and genetics courses under my belt, but if I were to do this that would mean that I would have to study for the MCAT during the semester and if I wanted to take a prep course it would have to happen during this time as well. I have also heard that taking the MCAT at the end of the summer before my junior year starts is good because you can spend the entire summer studying, but with this I would have no upper-division science courses completed.

Which is the best route? Would taking the MCAT in the spring of my junior year be too difficult because of how much I would have going on with school? I know this is different from person to person, but opinions are welcome. Also, when should I start studying formally with each route?

Search the forum, perhaps? :rolleyes:

I'd say to take a light load spring semester junior year and take it about a month after school lets out. Take a lot of science courses fall semester and then start studying over Christmas break. I have a couple of reasons for suggesting this: one is that the extra year of study will prove immensely useful. The second is that if you don't get in for a year or two, you won't have to retake the MCAT quite as quickly. (I know that one is kind of a downer but it's something to think about.)

If you are going to finish all the prereqs by fall, I say study over the winter break, do some light studying over January and take it at the end of January. Assuming your break is at least 3 weeks, you have more than enough time.