MCAT score increase question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MackieD123

Reaction score
I've been studying for the MCAT essentially all summer, but I've really kicked into high gear the last month and a half. I took my first AAMC full length at the end of July and then one a week for the last three weeks. My score has increased quite a bit;
FL1 496 (121/123/125/127)
FL2 501 (126/125/125/125)
FL3 505 (125/126/126/128)
FL4 510 (126/128/128/128)
I've read a lot that the most accurate predictor is your FL average, but in my case my average would be a 503, which is lower than my last two exams. Should I trust my increase, or am I getting my hopes up? I test in two days so unfortunately not a ton more studying I can squeeze in except for a last minute review of some weak areas.....

Members don't see this ad.

It's not about hopes up or hopes down. Just be confident. You worked hard and it shows through your improvement. There is no magic about averages. You've been steadily improving the entire time. It's not unreasonable to think you'll do even better than 510, given your trend.

At this point, it is actually pointless to try to cram for an exam like this. If you are done going over your last FL, just try to relax, in addition to reviewing anything you feel weak in. Good luck, and please report back and let us know what happened.

Reactions: 1 user
From an advising perspective, you have both positive and concerning things going on. The positive is that your trend has been quite good and are trending up. What gives me pause is the consistency of the scores in CP being around the 50th percentile. This last test you seem to have had a breakthrough with cars and bb. I would definitely spend some time looking at what’s going on with CP in your last few days.

Reactions: 1 user
Given that your score has steadily been increasing, I'd guess your 'true score' is closer to 510 than your average.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors