MCAT score of 21-24

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wut? :uhno: Was it a minority war vet with a bunch of publications and a great GPA or something? Because that's just ridiculous...

It is very rare for someone with a score below a 20 to be accepted. My guess is that most classes won't have more than 1 person if any with that score. That being said, it happens. Here's a chart for MD schools below that shows that .5% of accepted student scored below a 20. You'll notice that somehow, 4 people were accepted with scores below a 15...

https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstable24.pdf
hvilledoc

I remember another member here (indianarn), had around 3.3/22, ORM, not complete until November, received 4 interviews and got in.

Members don't see this ad.

hvilledoc

I remember another member here (indianarn), had around 3.3/22, ORM, not complete until November, received 4 interviews and got in.

to be fair, he also had a ton of clinical experience

hvilledoc

to be fair, he also had a ton of clinical experience

I was going to say, unless these were absolutely outstanding applicants outside of their MCAT score, I'm shocked by them getting that many interviews. Even with extensive clinical experience, a 3.3. GPA with a 22 MCAT in no way shows that they can handle med school curriculum or the boards.

To be blunt, I'm somewhat disappointed that individuals with stats like that get that many interviews or get accepted unless they are incredibly outstanding in several other areas...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to say, unless these were absolutely outstanding applicants outside of their MCAT score, I'm shocked by them getting that many interviews. Even with extensive clinical experience, a 3.3. GPA with a 22 MCAT in no way shows that they can handle med school curriculum or the boards.

To be blunt, I'm somewhat disappointed that individuals with stats like that get that many interviews or get accepted unless they are incredibly outstanding in several other areas...

A prime example of what I was referring to in the pre-medical forums. It most likely was the clinical experiences that gave him enough of a boost. DO schools consider more variable than MD schools in terms of selecting applicants. It still doesn't take away from your point though.

It is kind of interesting to think that back in the day even some of the well known osteopathic school had MCAT averages of 24. I wonder what their standard of "good enough" would have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A prime example of what I was referring to in the pre-medical forums. It most likely the clinical experiences that gave him enough of a boost. DO schools consider more variable than MD schools in terms of selecting applicants. It still doesn't take away from your point though.

It is kind of interesting to think that back in the day even some of the well known osteopathic school had MCAT averages of 24. I wonder what their standard of "good enough" would have been.

That thought kind of scares me. Although 40 years ago apparently med schools in general didn't care about the MCAT, so I guess maybe it wasn't an issue.