MCAT score of 21-24

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Future Docs...

Sorry to intrude, but I thought this where I would get the answer to my question (based on some real people's experience):

-Have you ever heard of any one who got accepted with an MCAT score of 21-24? And what were their GPAs?

Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I'm not sure what their GPA's were, at least a 3.3. More importantly, they had a lot of healthcare-related experience and great letters of recommendation.

I agree. There must have been some extraordinary ECs or other things in the application to offset the low MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
opee said:
Hello Future Docs...

Sorry to intrude, but I thought this where I would get the answer to my question (based on some real people's experience):

-Have you ever heard of any one who got accepted with an MCAT score of 21-24? And what were their GPAs?

Thanx

I know several that have been accepted to medical school with scores lower than this range, but they had great ECs and decent GPA. I didnt score very high and got into two schools this year, but I have healthcare experience and lots of ECs and a Masters degree.

Good luck to you.

Aaron

Thank you guys for your kind replies.

So far my scores in the particle tests are falling within that range, and my tutor is saying that seems like a good indicator that this is what I will be scoring in the real thing. I am trying hard to improve that.

Thanks again and good luck with Med School.

hey if it makes you feel better I got a 25 on my mcat and just graduated medical school in June without any trouble. Just make sure you have alot of volunteer experience and research never hurts. Good Luck!

I know someone with a 15 MCAT and someone with an 18 MCAT that were accepted. Keep in mind though they had good GPAs (3.6ish) and good volunteer work. They also carry themselves well.

It's always best to have a 25+ MCAT but I think you can get in with a 20+ as long as you are strong in other areas.

Oh and never give up! :)

-Richie

MCAT scores IMHO DO NOT represent how you will do in med school!!! I scored a 22 and am in the top 10% of my class this first year. So keep trying and don't let anybody tell you that it is a lost cause. No test can measure a persons potential!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I scored a 23L (like the L in writing matters), had a science GPA of 3.9 and an overall GPA of 3.88. I got into MSUCOM. My buddy had a 19 and got an interview last year. He didn't get in though. His GPA was around 3.2, but he had no volunteer experience. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
VJWDO said:
MCAT scores IMHO DO NOT represent how you will do in med school!!! I scored a 22 and am in the top 10% of my class this first year. So keep trying and don't let anybody tell you that it is a lost cause. No test can measure a persons potential!!!!
What school did you get into?

Thank you guys for the support. No, I will not give up. And please do not think that I am thinking DO b/c of my potentially- low MCAT. While I am also considering MD schools, I truly have interest in osteopathy. I was "saved" and became a convert :D after a visit to a local school (COMP).

opee said:
I was "saved" and became a convert :D after a visit to a local school (COMP).
I'm going to COMP because it is a local school. Just so you know, the average MCAT for COMP is a 27 and gpa is a 3.4. Apply early to increase your chances, and if COMP is one of your top choices, express your interest to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCATs 3 times 21,21,23 I didnt get into any MD programs the first year i applied. I also had NO healthcare experience. That year after undergrad I worked in changed jobs and started to work in a more health oriented position. My letters of rec were just physicians I had shadowed on my free time and one from my boss, nothing "stellar". My GPA in undergrad was 3.49. I applied my second year out and got into UHS. Now I graduate in may 2005 with psi sigma alpha honors.

MCATs dont make the student...osteopathic schools are not as bad as allopathic on this subject.

I got in with a 24 MCAT and a 3.6ish GPA. A little hard work and two years later I am in top 10% or better and did very well on COMLEX step 1. The MCAT doesn't really tell you much in my opinion. If you are given the opportunity to be a doctor, the effort you make will get you the results you want. Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Future Docs...

Thanx
YOU CAN GET IN!!
This may be a late response, but I wanted to help because I was in this same boat. I got a 21 on my MCAT..I know, horrible. I've always struggled with comprehension, reading, writing, you name it. Anyways, I decided to just apply anyhow (only 5 schools) and planned on retaking the MCAT and reapplying. I ended up getting two interviews (1 MD school, 1 DO school) and 1 acceptance. My undergrad GPA was 3.8. I did have a grant and research under my belt plus lots of extracurricular activities. I was scared to even go through med school because students on blogs said I would fail out and not pass boards. Well I am in my third year, top 13% of my class, scored 560 on comlex level 1 (above average) and 218 on Step 1 (a bit low, but because I was at a DO school I heavily studied for comlex and only touched the surface of USMLE- If I did uworld, I know I would have scored higher; I ran out of time and was burnt out after already taking 1 board exam). Honestly, med school is about being a good student and figuring out which study methods work for you. Some people may be thinking that all I did was study, but actually I stayed well rounded and worked out several times a week, went to concerts, visited family, watched sports games, snowboarded, took breaks and hung out with friends. I slept 7-8 hrs a night. Finding a routine and a good support system is key. The MCAT does NOT predict how well you will do in the future (only my opinion of course).

thread is 11 yrs old...opee is long gone

Oh wow, I was so happy reading this thread, until the last comment made me realize that the DO/MD climate is far different today. Boy do I wish a sub 24 score could still get one into a school today.

Yes, I know several DO schools that took students with low MCAT scores in the 20-25 range a decade ago....nowadays though the average acceptance hovers around a 24-28 for DO schools and 28-32 and above for MD schools...there will always be a few outliers that get in with lower scores if they have great GPA's, extracurriculars and personalities that shine on interview day:)

Oh wow, I was so happy reading this thread, until the last comment made me realize that the DO/MD climate is far different today. Boy do I wish a sub 24 score could still get one into a school today.
when I applied (2013-2014) I counted 9 people on this site that got in that year with 22 or less. One of those people had even matriculated to a foreign medical school, was not complete until November, and still got 5 interviews.

So much has changed in the past decade. Your chances are there now.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Thank you guys for the support. No, I will not give up. And please do not think that I am thinking DO b/c of my potentially- low MCAT. While I am also considering MD schools, I truly have interest in osteopathy. I was "saved" and became a convert :D after a visit to a local school (COMP).

Don't worry about acceptance. DO the best you can possibly do in your course work, MCat. Most importantly, commit your self to the profession by volunteering and expanding your horizons. The rest will come later .

Most probably people like these get accepted at the newest schools, like Wm Carey and LUCOM.

I hope that you're aware that having such a low MCAT is a risk factor for both failing out of med school and/or Boards.

Better to work on your deficits and retake.

Hello Future Docs...

Thanx

Most probably people like these get accepted at the newest schools, like Wm Carey and LUCOM.

I hope that you're aware that having such a low MCAT is a risk factor for both failing out of med school and/or Boards.

Better to work on your deficits and retake.

You say that despite numerous posters here mentioning that the MCAT had no correlation to their success in medical school. What are we to believe?

One can't argue with a case in point; anecdotes do not make Medicine.

I suspect that the people who fail out of med school aren't posting.

The medical literature is pretty solid on this, with over 20-30 years of observation with multiple MD and DO schools reporting the same thing.

Also, being at risk, even at high risk, doesn't mean that it WILL happen, only that it's more likely to happen.

You say that despite numerous posters here mentioning that the MCAT had no correlation to their success in medical school. What are we to believe?

Reactions: 3 users
One can't argue with a case in point; anecdotes do not make Medicine.

I suspect that the people who fail out of med school aren't posting.

The medical literature is pretty solid on this, with over 20-30 years of observation with multiple MD and DO schools reporting the same thing.

Also, being at risk, even at high risk, doesn't mean that it WILL happen, only that it's more likely to happen.

Has your school ever accepted anyone with around the 21-24 area in MCAT? It seems that there are some mission based schools that take people off the waitlist with these scores, like you mentioned. I see it more at William Carey, KYCOM, etc.

About a decade ago, our stats were lower. When our current dean arrived, he placed an emphasis on stats, and so they've gone up.

I remember one kid with a score < 25 rocked COMLEX.

If you dig up user3's list posted in the pre-Osteo forum, you'll see which COMs are at the lower end of the pool for MCAT scores, and you can thus imagine who's accepting people with 21-24 range, like LUCOM.

Has your school ever accepted anyone with around the 21-24 area in MCAT? It seems that there are some mission based schools that take people off the waitlist with these scores, like you mentioned. I see it more at William Carey, KYCOM, etc.

About a decade ago, our stats were lower. When our current dean arrived, he placed an emphasis on stats, and so they've gone up.

I remember one kid with a score < 25 rocked COMLEX.

If you dig up user3's list posted in the pre-Osteo forum, you'll see which COMs are at the lower end of the pool for MCAT scores, and you can thus imagine who's accepting people with 21-24 range, like LUCOM.

What would you imagine the range being form an average MCAT score since the AACOMAS doesn't have an MSAR that tells us the 10%iles. Like if a schools average was a 26, you could imagine wiggle room within 3 points, etc.

Within 4 points for MCAT, easily! But like the MD schools, the higher you climb up the pole, the more competitive it will get, so that's why I usually am conservative when someone has a 26 and I say skip CCOM etc.

With GPAs, I suspect a spread of 0.4 and even 0.5 might be OK, depending upon the school. Keep in mind that some schools like high MCATs and are OK with lower GPAs, and vice-versa. CCOM seems to be the exception and wants high in both. The coastal Touros, AZCOM, DMU, TCOM, NYITCOM and Western all seem to be breathing down their neck.

Did you see the post in pre-Allo by someone bleating about how competitive med schools are these days? It's not only the MD schools that this applies too. The COMs are catching up to the lower tier private schools, and some state schools as well.

What would you imagine the range being form an average MCAT score since the AACOMAS doesn't have an MSAR that tells us the 10%iles. Like if a schools average was a 26, you could imagine wiggle room within 3 points, etc.

Within 4 points for MCAT, easily! But like the MD schools, the higher you climb up the pole, the more competitive it will get, so that's why I usually am conservative when someone has a 26 and I say skip CCOM etc.

With GPAs, I suspect a spread of 0.4 and even 0.5 might be OK, depending upon the school. Keep in mind that some schools like high MCATs and are OK with lower GPAs, and vice-versa. CCOM seems to be the exception and wants high in both. The coastal Touros, AZCOM, DMU, TCOM, NYITCOM and Western all seem to be breathing down their neck.

Did you see the post in pre-Allo by someone bleating about how competitive med schools are these days? It's not only the MD schools that this applies too. The COMs are catching up to the lower tier private schools, and some state schools as well.

Ok that makes sense. So, for instance, lets take a lower tiered DO program that has an MCAT average of 26-27. You would still give the go ahead for a student to apply with a 22-23 if their GPA and ECs are all in order and apply early (before October)?

Just wanted to put in here that AZCOM'S MCAT avg for the c/o 2019 was between a 29 and 30... Definitely becoming "on par" with the "lower tier" MD schools. Not sure a 21-24 (and their equivalent percentiles for the new MCAT) can cut it anymore at any U.S. Med school for the most part.

Just wanted to put in here that AZCOM'S MCAT avg for the c/o 2019 was between a 29 and 30... Definitely becoming "on par" with the "lower tier" MD schools. Not sure a 21-24 (and their equivalent percentiles for the new MCAT) can cut it anymore at any U.S. Med school for the most part.

If it is a mission oriented school and you are in the region of a school, having a 22-24 might still give you a shot if the GPA is above average. Realistically, you are correct having those scores are not enough. However, having the national average MCAT in the 90th percentile (33 or 514) would just be ridiculous. It has got to plateau at some point before that.

I agree that a higher MCAT score is generally necessary to get into medical school in the U.S. nowadays. However, isn't the point of this thread to show how those with "lower" MCAT scores were still successful in med school?

Also, what about the students from VCOM, WVSOM, KYCOM, and other schools who have MCAT averages around ~25? Evidently, the vast majority of these students have been successful in passing their medical school courses. And the ones who've graduated have gone on to obtain residencies.

The correlation, in my opinion, has to do with the willpower/endurance/ambition to overcome the MCAT in a respectable manner. Students who do this successfully are more than likely to also have the willpower to perform competently in medical school.

I agree that a higher MCAT score is generally necessary to get into medical school in the U.S. nowadays. However, isn't the point of this thread to show how those with "lower" MCAT scores were still successful in med school?

Also, what about the students from VCOM, WVSOM, KYCOM, and other schools who have MCAT averages around ~25? Evidently, the vast majority of these students have been successful in passing their medical school courses. And the ones who've graduated have gone on to obtain residencies.

The correlation, in my opinion, has to do with the willpower/endurance/ambition to overcome the MCAT in a respectable manner. Students who do this successfully are more than likely to also have the willpower to perform competently in medical school.

The MCAT is important to admissions because they need numerical data to weed through the masses.

Its not so much an indicator of hard work or intelligence....its a number.
No question, there are thousands of people who score horribly on the MCAT who would be amazing in medicine.

The thing is....there are also thousands of people who dont score 21s, who also would be amazing in medicine.

At my school, there are over 25 applicants for every 1 seat. Admissions are very aware that the MCAT isnt the end all be all, and that its just one test.

When you compare applicants side by side, you probably have 20 applicants with better scores. They arent going to create new seats for you just because you are *probably a good enough to graduate* they will offer the acceptance to the guy who is also probably good enough to be a graduate, who scored a 32.

Reactions: 2 users
I applied late and was accepted straight out of undergrad with a 24 and 3.8. I'm starting second year as top 20% of the class. I don't feel that the MCAT has any correlation with how you do in school. I know plenty of people who scored in the 18-24 range and absolutely rocked the boards and will be doing surgery. I also know people who rocked the MCAT and failed out of med school. It is what you make it.

I applied late and was accepted straight out of undergrad with a 24 and 3.8. I'm starting second year as top 20% of the class. I don't feel that the MCAT has any correlation with how you do in school. I know plenty of people who scored in the 18-24 range and absolutely rocked the boards and will be doing surgery. I also know people who rocked the MCAT and failed out of med school. It is what you make it.

People really get in with an 18?

Well then I guess I was lied to by multiple people but idk who'd lie about getting an 18?

Either you were lied to, or you are lying about this whole thing, but either way there are not multiple people in any class with 18s.

Well then I guess I was lied to by multiple people but idk who'd lie about getting an 18?
I got a 10...
See, it's not that hard to lie about an MCAT score

Yeah but did the rest of your class score in the low to mid 20s as well?

Either you were lied to, or you are lying about this whole thing, but either way there are not multiple people in any class with 18s.
I didn't say they were all in the same class year nor the same school. Trust me, I hate liars more than anyone. There's no point in it. I'm just trying to shed light on the fact that it's not guaranteed that you'll fail boards if you had a crappy MCAT score and vice versa.

when I applied (2013-2014) I counted 9 people on this site that got in that year with 22 or less. One of those people had even matriculated to a foreign medical school, was not complete until November, and still got 5 interviews.

Wut? :uhno: Was it a minority war vet with a bunch of publications and a great GPA or something? Because that's just ridiculous...

People really get in with an 18?

It is very rare for someone with a score below a 20 to be accepted. My guess is that most classes won't have more than 1 person if any with that score. That being said, it happens. Here's a chart for MD schools below that shows that .5% of accepted student scored below a 20. You'll notice that somehow, 4 people were accepted with scores below a 15...

https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstable24.pdf

Wut? :uhno: Was it a minority war vet with a bunch of publications and a great GPA or something? Because that's just ridiculous...

It is very rare for someone with a score below a 20 to be accepted. My guess is that most classes won't have more than 1 person if any with that score. That being said, it happens. Here's a chart for MD schools below that shows that .5% of accepted student scored below a 20. You'll notice that somehow, 4 people were accepted with scores below a 15...

That's what I thought. I have heard of people getting off wait lists with 21, but not from an 18

When you get to numbers like this, I smell "legacies".