MCAT score the problem to my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jle623

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't get any interviews this cycle so I'm reapplying this year and debating if I should re-take the MCAT. I took it for the first time last August and got a 28Q (10 PS, 9 VR, 9 BS). The thing is I don't think I can really improve it by much because that's the score I was averaging on my practice tests (highest I ever got was a 32). Also, I had studied for the test the year before but chickened out because I wasn't scoring well on my practice tests back then either. Wouldn't it look more bad if I re-took the test and got the same score or worse?

The other main reason why I don't think I got any interviews was because I applied very late (primary wasn't in until early october) and only applied to 5 schools plus all the Canadian schools. What are my chances if apply really early this year and broadly with this MCAT score? My GPA is 3.87 and I have a lot of volunteering, clinical and research experience. I know my stats aren't horrible but I've heard they should be more competitive since I'm applying as an international student.

Members don't see this ad.

apply early and broadly.
and dont be afraid to apply to DO schools.
you have good stats. you should at least get interviewed based on numbers alone. if all else fails, go carib!

I have a 3.9 AO GPA and 3.93 BCPM with 29R and 28P MCATs. I got three interviews after applying to 16 schools. Got waitlisted at 2 and am in the very competitive category for which an ultimate decision of acceptance or alternate list placement will be given later this month. I think your stats are fine. Just apply earlier and more broadly (I think I had too many reaches). For me, I got my AMCAS in September (still late). So, those two things I would do and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you prepare for the MCAT?
With a gpa as high as your's, I'd disagree that you can't do better.
The MCAT is different from most tests you've probably taken in the past, but if you learn the correct strategies I think you could improve.

Applying early and broadly should get you some interviews, but if you could even boost that MCAT by a few points it would open up a lot more doors.

Check out the MCAT threads if you need some tips on how to study.
The main key is doing tons of practice problems under timed conditions and then analyzing your results. Go through every question (right or wrong) and analyze all the answer choices. If you just didn't know the material, go back and review it. Other than that, figure out what tricked you up about the question. After lots of practice, you will see patterns and get better at identifying "trick" questions.

Good luck.

You have to apply far and wide if your MCAT is below 30. Canadian schools, forget about them if your MCAT is below 33, the average Canadian school is as hard to get into as Harvard and Hopkins. Getting in the high 20's would make you highly competitive for DO programs though.