MCAT scores --- drastic drop.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tombnelson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my second set of MCAT scores.
I originally had a 503 and the score dropped to a 492. I have absolutely no idea how this happened, I felt great about the test. I am simply crushed.
I have been waitlisted at a med school before, but now I'm doubting if that will happen again.
Undergrad GPA was 3.0, since then (all of my pre-reqs) I have been getting straight As and A-
I am a highschool biology teacher and I have been out of school for four years.
Any chance I could get into a DO school at this point, or did I kill that chance by retaking?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry no one has responded to you. You may want to consider posting in the Non-Trad forum instead.

If you were waitlisted with a 503, getting a 492 is possibly a red flag.

Try to consider the timeline of both takes, your preparation and circumstances, mental state, and anything else that could have caused the drop.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Tom,
Definitely post this in the non traditional student area. Honestly, you won't get in with a 492. I dont want to sound mean I just dont want you to waste your money. Wait a cycle, take some time to study and get a KILLER score next year, and apply then. They will love that you have teaching experience and As and A-s in your prereqs, but you need to show to them that you have mastered the material, the MCAT will show that. Even get your score to a 508/510 and you will get in somewhere. The 492 was just a bad day, you really can do it easily. I believe in you! Just give it a year.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got my second set of MCAT scores.
I originally had a 503 and the score dropped to a 492. I have absolutely no idea how this happened, I felt great about the test. I am simply crushed.
I have been waitlisted at a med school before, but now I'm doubting if that will happen again.
Undergrad GPA was 3.0, since then (all of my pre-reqs) I have been getting straight As and A-
I am a highschool biology teacher and I have been out of school for four years.
Any chance I could get into a DO school at this point, or did I kill that chance by retaking?

I'm sorry you were disappointed with your score.

The above poster is right, you should plan to apply at the beginning of next cycle with an improved MCAT, taken early next spring.

The MCAT is a huge hurdle for a lot of people. Maybe you should invest in a prep course, or readjust the materials you used or your study methods.

Good luck! This is a setback but doesn't have to be the end for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently interviewing at residencies for Internal and Family medicine. Thanks for the encouragement!!

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users