MCAT scores for 2008

Started by nycbeatz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nycbeatz

nervous wreck .........
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
😕

So there have been alot of threads regarding the potential rise in MCAT scores now that it is computerized. We know that the scaled scores are curved passed on previous adminstrations, but since more people are applying to medical shool and more people are taking and retaking the MCAT, its possible that the top 5% was previously achieved by 1,000 applicants and now its more like 3,000 (Note: I'm just making these numbers up). So if you took the test in 2008 what was your score.
 
haha if you base performance on SDN your results will lead you to believe that 9/10 people score in the top 10th percentile or higher....
 
The flaw may not be from the sample size but rather SDN is an unrepresentative sample of MCAT takers. Or at least that's generally the notion around here.


It's like trying to determine the prevalence among Americans of bullet wounds and only surveying in a emergency room in downtown Detroit.
If you ask a group of high MCAT scorers if more people are scoring higher on the new MCAT it'll seem that they are but they were above the mean to being which confounds everything.

Sorry I don't mean to ramble on about basic statistics... I'm more just trying to say in the past it's been noted the SDN'ers typically score way above the mean.... so don't assume the mcat is easier if you get 40 vote's in 38+
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The flaw may not be from the sample size but rather SDN is an unrepresentative sample of MCAT takers. Or at least that's generally the notion around here.


It's like trying to determine the prevalence among Americans of bullet wounds and only surveying in a emergency room in downtown Detroit.
If you ask a group of high MCAT scorers if more people are scoring higher on the new MCAT it'll seem that they are but they were above the mean to being which confounds everything.

Sorry I don't mean to ramble on about basic statistics... I'm more just trying to say in the past it's been noted the SDN'ers typically score way above the mean.... so don't assume the mcat is easier if you get 40 vote's in 38+

Either that or people just lie about their scores on here.
 
Exactly. SDN is a self-selecting group of individuals. The MCAT has not gotten easier or harder, there are just more people taking the test...SDN is also skewed up for some reason, as previous polls have also shown.

I agree with Vihsadas. Generally, users who spend time here at SDN will generally have a better understanding of how to study, what materials to study, and how to get into the testing mentality more so than the average Joe going to take the MCAT. With that said, the results are going to be generally higher here.
 
Last edited:
SDN is full of OCD pre-meds who spend ~4hr/day thinking about medical school admissions, so it isn't that surprising that we destroy national averages
Not to mention people who score <30 are much, much less likely to share for obvious reasons
 
Good point. I found out about SDN last month and have been addicted ever since. I believe that the resources found here are more valuable than any other sole source. I think SDN should start some sort of national pre-med club 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with Vihsadas. Generally, users who spend time here at SDN will generally have a better understanding of how to study, what materials to study, and how to get into the testing mentality more so than the average Joe going to take the MCAT. With that said, the results are going to be generally higher here.

I really think that it is just blatant exaggeration with the goal of puffing one's e-peen.
 
I really think that it is just blatant exaggeration with the goal of puffing one's e-peen.
Yeah, I think that's a big portion of it. I think in reality its a combination of both things, however.

I think this thread would be much better if it was made like a different poll I saw where it was asked how everyone scored with respect to their "fully prepared" practice AAMC range.