MCAT scores for 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycbeatz

nervous wreck .........
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:

So there have been alot of threads regarding the potential rise in MCAT scores now that it is computerized. We know that the scaled scores are curved passed on previous adminstrations, but since more people are applying to medical shool and more people are taking and retaking the MCAT, its possible that the top 5% was previously achieved by 1,000 applicants and now its more like 3,000 (Note: I'm just making these numbers up). So if you took the test in 2008 what was your score.

Members don't see this ad.

haha if you base performance on SDN your results will lead you to believe that 9/10 people score in the top 10th percentile or higher....

oh the one vote there right now was from me...but yeah i know sample size may not be accurate

The flaw may not be from the sample size but rather SDN is an unrepresentative sample of MCAT takers. Or at least that's generally the notion around here.

It's like trying to determine the prevalence among Americans of bullet wounds and only surveying in a emergency room in downtown Detroit.
If you ask a group of high MCAT scorers if more people are scoring higher on the new MCAT it'll seem that they are but they were above the mean to being which confounds everything.

Sorry I don't mean to ramble on about basic statistics... I'm more just trying to say in the past it's been noted the SDN'ers typically score way above the mean.... so don't assume the mcat is easier if you get 40 vote's in 38+

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly. SDN is a self-selecting group of individuals. The MCAT has not gotten easier or harder, there are just more people taking the test...SDN is also skewed up for some reason, as previous polls have also shown.

If I view the poll results, will I be able to click my score later? I'm not getting my score back for another two weeks.

yeah, you should be able to.

Thanks, Vihsadas! I have another SN on the kaplan website and I've always appreciated your helpful posts. :) I'm a big fan of yours, if usually silent among the masses of unknown screennames...:D

The flaw may not be from the sample size but rather SDN is an unrepresentative sample of MCAT takers. Or at least that's generally the notion around here.

It's like trying to determine the prevalence among Americans of bullet wounds and only surveying in a emergency room in downtown Detroit.
If you ask a group of high MCAT scorers if more people are scoring higher on the new MCAT it'll seem that they are but they were above the mean to being which confounds everything.

Sorry I don't mean to ramble on about basic statistics... I'm more just trying to say in the past it's been noted the SDN'ers typically score way above the mean.... so don't assume the mcat is easier if you get 40 vote's in 38+

Either that or people just lie about their scores on here.

Either that or people just lie about their scores on here.

lol, or that..... but right now, the meagre data supports the 50% of test takes score a 35+..... the aamc must have really eased the curve haha

Exactly. SDN is a self-selecting group of individuals. The MCAT has not gotten easier or harder, there are just more people taking the test...SDN is also skewed up for some reason, as previous polls have also shown.

I agree with Vihsadas. Generally, users who spend time here at SDN will generally have a better understanding of how to study, what materials to study, and how to get into the testing mentality more so than the average Joe going to take the MCAT. With that said, the results are going to be generally higher here.

Last edited:
SDN is full of OCD pre-meds who spend ~4hr/day thinking about medical school admissions, so it isn't that surprising that we destroy national averages
Not to mention people who score <30 are much, much less likely to share for obvious reasons

Good point. I found out about SDN last month and have been addicted ever since. I believe that the resources found here are more valuable than any other sole source. I think SDN should start some sort of national pre-med club :D

I agree with Vihsadas. Generally, users who spend time here at SDN will generally have a better understanding of how to study, what materials to study, and how to get into the testing mentality more so than the average Joe going to take the MCAT. With that said, the results are going to be generally higher here.

I really think that it is just blatant exaggeration with the goal of puffing one's e-peen.

I really think that it is just blatant exaggeration with the goal of puffing one's e-peen.
Yeah, I think that's a big portion of it. I think in reality its a combination of both things, however.

I think this thread would be much better if it was made like a different poll I saw where it was asked how everyone scored with respect to their "fully prepared" practice AAMC range.

I just wanted to bump this, for all the people who took their MCAT 5/10 and have gotten their scores. :luck: