1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

MCAT scores

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by nochaser, Oct 17, 2001.

1. nochaser

nochaser Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone get into med school with a lowish MCAT score? That's what I got, and I feel like sh** because I thought I did well, started the app process based on that feeling, all that money, time, frustration, for what?...unless, of course, there's someone out there that can tell me they made it w/o stellar MCATS scores! If you are out there, help me! Might not apply to my situation, but knowing that much will at least make me feel better. I am terribly embarrassed about my score, so I am not posting it here, but if you need to know it, I'll email it to you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MedPuck

MedPuck Made
    7+ Year Member

Nochaser, If you don't mind me asking, what is your idea of a low score? I have a very low verbal and decent sciences amounting to a 29 combined and I have received 3 MD and 3 DO interviews so far. If you have great med-experiences and a very solid gpa you will be fine. Let me know and good luck. Don't get down, there is nothing you can do to change your score, so keep the faith and don't give up! :D

4. med_skool_fool

7+ Year Member

i also have a horrible MCAT score....but i just wanna say it's people like you that give us hope...this forum is so great not just for info, but the people are cool and very supportive...thanks for that!

5. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I wouldn't give up hope with a 29 for sure. I know folks who have already gotten in this year with lower scores, and I know an MS1 who got in with a 24. :)

There is hope. :)

6. DaMoose

DaMoose New Member

29's better than my score was... And I am graduating soon...

7. DO/MBA

DO/MBA Member
    7+ Year Member

3.9 GPA and 10, 10, 9 (I hate organic.) I received several interveiws, 3 MD and 2 DO. I was accepted at both DO schools and 1 MD school. The rest is history. My Bro in law got a 23 and got into 1 MD and 1 DO school. My point is that they (at least the ones I went to) looked at a lot more than MCAT's
    Good Luck

8. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got into a great school with a 27/28 (had to take the MCAT twice in 5 weeks because they lost, and then eventually found, my original August MCAT)

Although, I have to admit that my GPA probably helped a bit.....

Oh yeah, don't forget, it takes a LOT more than good scores to get in! As several other posters have noted, sometimes people get in with pretty "dismal" scores...that's because they are probably extremely INTERESTING in other respects! Extracurriculars and hobbies can make a HUGE difference in the success of your application!

9. nochaser

nochaser Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for the responses, people!