MCAT Scores?

ermonty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
The Octagon @ Mandalay Bay
  1. Attending Physician
    I'm taking the MCAT in August and I've been taking pratice sectionals(Kaplan). I'm consistently making 80-85% on Bio and 65-70% on physical. But there's no grading key so I have no idea what scaled scores these %s whould correlate to. I understand it varies with the body of test takers, but there must be some general guidelines for %s and the scaled scores. Anybody know?

RT

Rt
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Apr 21, 2002
      Kaplan materials have been consistently more challenging than AAMC's. Their scales reflect that.

AAMC: for both section
      80-85% ==> high 11 - low 12
      60-70% ==> high 7 - low 9

Kaplan: (roughly)
      80-85% Bio ==> 11 - 13
      60-70% Phy ==> 9 - 10

Don't trust the scales, but don't give yourself excuses either. Use the materials to learn what you haven't already known.

About the Ads

relatively prime

post happy member
      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Apr 28, 2002
        It depends what Kaplan tests you're taking I'd say this (and I've taken them all... and the real thing)...

Kaplan tests I to V:
        bio 80-85%: 9-11
        phys 60-70%: 9-11

Kaplan tests VI to XII:
        bio 89-85%: 10-11
        phys 60-70%: 10-13

This is just my own educated guess though... Kaplan tests 6-12 have really messed up physical sceince sections... I got a 7s (by there scale not mine) on their PS sections and a 12 on the real thing.

nero

10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Oct 16, 2000
        Florida
          I thought the sections were scored differently because more people do well on the bio than on the ps. for example getting 62 (81%) questions right on the bs would be like a 10 or 11, whereas getting 62 (81%) right on ps is like a 12 or 13. on my kaplan test for example, i got 80% right on the bs and got a 10 and got 67% right on the ps but got an 11. .........

nero

relatively prime

post happy member
          7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Apr 28, 2002
            •••quote:•••Originally posted by nero:
            •I thought the sections were scored differently because more people do well on the bio than on the ps. for example getting 62 (81%) questions right on the bs would be like a 10 or 11, whereas getting 62 (81%) right on ps is like a 12 or 13. on my kaplan test for example, i got 80% right on the bs and got a 10 and got 67% right on the ps but got an 11. .........

nero•••••Yeah I think that's sometimes true... but I think that Kaplan sometimes makes the bio section extra hard (for example puts in more o-chem) so it cancels out... I could be wrong though... it just seems that way :)

laviddee

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            May 6, 2002
            Chicago
              if you want to increase your physics score-- get Nova's MCAt Physics review-- it helped me out soooo much. I haven't received my scores, but every aamc practice test i took- I got a score of 12+, and on kaplan's i got a scaled score of 14. So get that book- and if you work through every problem- it'll help you out.

Luv Nietzsche

7+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Apr 21, 2002
              So Cal
                Nova has Physics, Bio & Chem - one book for each subject. I don't know how helpful they are. Here's Barnes & Noble links.

<a href="http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=6525CYRB6M&mscssid=1E41QS36BK9C9N10LT04XS4WB94X8A22&isbn=1889057002" target="_blank">Physics</a>
                <a href="http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=6525CYRB6M&mscssid=1E41QS36BK9C9N10LT04XS4WB94X8A22&isbn=1889057088" target="_blank">Bio</a>
                <a href="http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=6525CYRB6M&mscssid=1E41QS36BK9C9N10LT04XS4WB94X8A22&isbn=1889057126" target="_blank">Chem</a>

laviddee

7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                May 6, 2002
                Chicago
                  also check out this post as well--
                  <a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012648" target="_blank">http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012648</a>

i list all the books i used..
                  also i liked signing up on <a href="http://www.e-mcat.com" target="_blank">www.e-mcat.com</a> where you have access to all the aamc practice exams and they grade it for you on the computer.
                  I wouldnt' start using those exams till like 3 weeks before however to get the whole feel of the exams.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.