MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phuuma

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a little confused about what constitutes a good MCAT score. I am from NC and applied to Wake Forest, UNC and ECU. I made sure to check the averages at all schools and the highest of all three was of course, WFU which was around 31 (10.3 on each section). Now what I don't understand is why alot of people on these boards seem to be bummed if they get like a 30 or a 29. I mean, WFU is a really good med school right? So if you are right there with the average at WFU then you should be a little above most state schools. I just got my scores and had a 31 (12V 10B 9P) and was really pleased since that is about avg at WFU. Now I know WF isn't John Hopkins but still. Basically what I would like to know is, are these averages the schools are showing bogus? I mean an avg. of 10 or so on each section, that means people are getting in with 9's, possibly 8's on each section. So if you had a 27 you still have a decent chance. So why are so many people worried? Just wondering if I should start fretting over only having a 31.

Members don't see this ad.

speaking for myself, i can tell you why i was disappointed with my MCAT score of 29 (V9,B10,P10,T)...first of all, i was consistently scoring in the 30s on practice tests i was taking, even managing a 12 in the verbal reasoning section...i was expecting to do better than i did on the MCAT...i think there was a measure of diappointment for me...secondly, after having poured so much of my heart and soul into preparing for that exam, i think it became more than just an admissions test...it became personal...i wanted to do well on that test not just to get into medical school, but to prove something to MYSELF...although my score of 29 is nothing to be ashamed of, i feel it is not the best i could have done...it is for those reasons that i am a bit upset over my score...

Hey..Although I didn't take my MCAT yet..Just wanna tell you that you applied to all the schools that I will be applying in the future.. WAKE rules... umm.. that may be a little biased b/c I live 5 mins away from it.. 31 seems strong... and especially your B and V scores and I am sure you will get into any of the three... So NO WORRIES... Just wondering what school you go to??

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason a lot of people get bummed about a good MCAT score is because lots of premeds are incredibly neurotic (including many on SDN). Some people won't be happy with anything less than a 40. They're nuts. 31 is an excellent score... congratulations!

I think Amitha hit the nail right on the head. Nothing is ever good enough for us Type A personalities. :)

The reason I'm not satisfied (but still very happy) with my 31 is mainly because while a 31 will get me in somewhere... there's still a good chance I won't get in. Many people with 31's don't get accepted. Not only that, a 31 doesn't give you the flexability that a 33 or 34 does. Once you hit the 33+ mark you truely don't have to worry about anything.

au contrare. I have a 35, and i am shi#%ing myself every day. I just got a rejection from my STATE SCHOOL the other day. MCAT scores can't take you the whole way.

I know MCAT scores aren't everything, but if you have a 33+ and a decent breakdown (i.e. nothing lower than a 9)... you know for sure that what's holding you back is not the MCAT. Whereas, with a 31 there's still room to wonder if it was you're MCAT scores that weren't good enough.
For me, I come from a no-name state school... so my MCATs have to be a little higher.

This is not a rant against affirmative action...

Check out this website: http://www.acusd.edu/~e_cook/vault/medical/losangeles/ucla-med-99.html

The average MCAT score at UCLA is around a 10.6 according to US News. But averages are deceiving, especially in medical school admissions. How many white/Asian students do you see at or below the average? Very few, in fact. Most have scores much higher. When you apply to medical school, then, you're not really competing with the average. You are essentially competing with individuals from your own "race." That's why a white or Asian guy in California, for example, probably won't be content with a 31...even though it is close to UCLA's "average."
Should it be like this? Well, that's not what this post is about, so please don't construe it that way.

Thanks for the input guys. I understand what alot of you are saying about being upset because you had higher expectations and I understand that. Also thanks to those who assured me 31 is a pretty good score :) And to asnwer the question I go to Campbell University.