MCAT struggle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ssmouri

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Im new here, so not sure if I'm in the right place. But I have been doing ANKI for months and have started doing Uworld. But I feel like I don't know what the question is trying to ask, or maybe I don't know how to apply the information I know to the question.

I tried reading thru the Kaplan books but it was literally no help, and now I am trying to watch videos. I really want to take this exam within the next two months so that I can apply in May!

Any tips or resources would be soooo appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC materials!!! Do all of the AAMC materials starting with Q packs, then section banks, then their FLs. Do everything twice, mostly to get used to their style. If you are worried about applying information to questions, then use the questions that are most realistic. The truth is that all of us companies are chasing AAMC in terms of realism, so you will be better suited doing their materials a second time than other resources.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there,

It sounds like the first thing you should do is take a diagnostic test (I would suggest the AAMC's free practice exam which will give you a scaled score). That way you have some kind of indicator as to your actual performance. Don't panic and assume that you're struggling or failing if you don't have any real evidence that you are.

After that, you can assess where your weak points are in terms of science content. Prioritize the content that you haven't learned or got wrong on the diagnostic rather than stuff that you're familiar with. IMO, there's a tendency for MCAT students to do the opposite (i.e. focus on content strengths and ignore weaknesses), which is a huge mistake. Shoring up your content weaknesses will produce the greatest score improvements.

Also, in terms of content, don't just rely on Anki. Anki is great for drilling stuff you've already know, but for concepts you're unfamiliar with, take the time to watch some YouTube videos and take your own notes. Taking notes by hand can make the difference between full understanding and only half understanding.

Once your content knowledge is mostly there, then focus on completing as much of the AAMC material as possible. Save the paid practice tests for the final weeks of the study process. Also, review the questions you get wrong -- analyzing these questions (figuring out exactly why you got them wrong) is ultimately the key to improving your score.

Lastly, don't rush this process. I know you said that you wanted to apply this cycle, but if your MCAT score isn't where it needs to be, that may not be a good idea. Studying for the MCAT is a months-long process, and if delaying your test date will give you time to improve your score, that's probably what you should be doing.

Wish you the best of luck in this process!

After completing organic chemistry this summer, it will be time to start studying for the MCAT. Do I only use AAMC and AAMC approved Khan Academy? Or is it necessary to purchase a review course? There seem to be a lot of neurotic premeds who didn't really learn statistics well even after making an A in the course. What I'm talking about is that correlation doesn't imply causality. "I made a 525 after taking the $5,000 Acme MCAT review course." I've heard this from 4.0 students who went to rigorous schools. Might the AAMC and Khan Academy resources have been more than sufficient, particularly for good students? Logically, it seems like the AAMC has the advantage in determining what needs to go into review materials. I am willing to spend money if it would significantly improve my efficiency.