MCAT Struggles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudent1293

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting for someone else...

I have taken the MCAT twice and have not gotten a score above a 492. I plan to take it a third time and get at least a 500 but I am unsure how I should study. I have taken Kaplan private tutoring and classes and another tutoring course called Cambridge Coaching but both were unable to help me. Is there a study plan that could help me prepare for taking the MCAT again?

I have good clinical experience and my GPA is a 3.51. I'll also be taking a master's program during the fall in biomedical sciences in the meantime. The only part of my application that needs improvement is my MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you describe how you prepared for your first two attempts, what the class/tutor tried, and what your areas that need to be improved are? I’m happy to help generate ideas for a plan but we need some additional information.

I appreciate your response and thank you for offering to help me.

I prepared with Kaplan with private tutoring and class sessions. The class session went on for 1 month and then I continued with private tutoring for 3 months before my first exam. I took Cambridge coaching for a month.

The topics I studied with my Kaplan tutor were a mixture of chemistry, biochemistry, and physics. I didn't study as much psychology and CARS (I was doing well with CARS compared to my science and psych section but I was doing better in my psych section compared to my science sections). When I took Cambridge coaching; I focused on thermodynamics, basic chemistry, some physics topics such as torque and reproduction. When I took my MCAT the first time my CARS score was a 125 but then when I took my MCAT the second time it went down to a 121 (but I think that was because I focused a lot of my science sections since my science section scores went up while my psych and CARS sections went down. Additionally, I started using a new technique the second time instead of my old way of going about doing CARS sections. I found a strategy that I thought would help me do better with reading CARS passages faster but it made my score go down. I'm also an English major so reading is something that I do a lot of the time anyway so I think that I can manage the CARS section better with enough practice this time around.) However, I've focused the least attention on psychology this whole time, which I am a little worried about.

The areas that I think need the biggest improvement are every section at this moment. As I mentioned, I did improve a 1-2 points in my science sections but decreased in my other sections because I had focused more on science (Chem/Phys and Bio/Biochem). I think I mostly need to improve on topics concerning basic chemistry, physics, and biochemistry.

My tutor for Kaplan had me do Q-banks and AAMC problems. When I did exams he would have me do two sections over the course of 2 days and then have me look over my answers. (this was during the time that they had the shorter version of the MCAT) After a few weeks, he would then have me do 7-hour length exams since there weren't that many 5 hr exams. 5 weeks before my exam date he then told me to start taking the full-lengths at one time. Then 3 weeks before my exam he said to start taking the AAMC exams.

As for my tutor at Cambridge Coaching, she had me read a lot of chapters on topics that I told her I had the most problems with (thermodynamics, reproduction, basic chemistry, and some physics concepts such as torque, equilibrium, and energy) as well as answer the end of the chapter problems and end of book questions. After I did that we would go over answers to problem sets or problems I didn't understand from exams I took. She allowed me to take Kaplan full-lengths before taking the AAMC exams.

I have also taken a study course called ThinkMCAT for a time before taking Cambridge Coaching to go over topics such as biochemistry, physics, and basic chemistry. Each session was 2 hours and was a review on a specific subject. For instance, metabolism was a topic discussed in the 2-hour session. This was a source recommended by my father's fellows that work with him.

I appreciate your response and thank you for offering to help me.

I prepared with Kaplan with private tutoring and class sessions. The class session went on for 1 month and then I continued with private tutoring for 3 months before my first exam. I took Cambridge coaching for a month.

The topics I studied with my Kaplan tutor were a mixture of chemistry, biochemistry, and physics. I didn't study as much psychology and CARS (I was doing well with CARS compared to my science and psych section but I was doing better in my psych section compared to my science sections). When I took Cambridge coaching; I focused on thermodynamics, basic chemistry, some physics topics such as torque and reproduction. When I took my MCAT the first time my CARS score was a 125 but then when I took my MCAT the second time it went down to a 121 (but I think that was because I focused a lot of my science sections since my science section scores went up while my psych and CARS sections went down. Additionally, I started using a new technique the second time instead of my old way of going about doing CARS sections. I found a strategy that I thought would help me do better with reading CARS passages faster but it made my score go down. I'm also an English major so reading is something that I do a lot of the time anyway so I think that I can manage the CARS section better with enough practice this time around.) However, I've focused the least attention on psychology this whole time, which I am a little worried about.

The areas that I think need the biggest improvement are every section at this moment. As I mentioned, I did improve a 1-2 points in my science sections but decreased in my other sections because I had focused more on science (Chem/Phys and Bio/Biochem). I think I mostly need to improve on topics concerning basic chemistry, physics, and biochemistry.

My tutor for Kaplan had me do Q-banks and AAMC problems. When I did exams he would have me do two sections over the course of 2 days and then have me look over my answers. (this was during the time that they had the shorter version of the MCAT) After a few weeks, he would then have me do 7-hour length exams since there weren't that many 5 hr exams. 5 weeks before my exam date he then told me to start taking the full-lengths at one time. Then 3 weeks before my exam he said to start taking the AAMC exams.

As for my tutor at Cambridge Coaching, she had me read a lot of chapters on topics that I told her I had the most problems with (thermodynamics, reproduction, basic chemistry, and some physics concepts such as torque, equilibrium, and energy) as well as answer the end of the chapter problems and end of book questions. After I did that we would go over answers to problem sets or problems I didn't understand from exams I took. She allowed me to take Kaplan full-lengths before taking the AAMC exams.

I have also taken a study course called ThinkMCAT for a time before taking Cambridge Coaching to go over topics such as biochemistry, physics, and basic chemistry. Each session was 2 hours and was a review on a specific subject. For instance, metabolism was a topic discussed in the 2-hour session. This was a source recommended by my father's fellows that work with him.
Was this before or after your 507???? Just asking for a friend. :cool:

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 507 (128/123/129/127)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA) 3.8, sci 3.7
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): New York
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): White male
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Low/Mid teir MD
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: Involved in a Psychology lab for 2 years and involved w/ a student run helpline to talk w/ students in in need in undergrad, planning to be a nursing assistant for 2 years, will apply next cycle, Done lots of shadowing of primary care and specialsts, will continue to do this. Also planning on volunteering at hospital as well.
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: Felt all other material was manageable except for CARS
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? Don't want to chance it, would rather stick w/ this score if any MD schools would accept it

Members don't see this ad :)
@KnightDoc yeah asking for someone else who is struggling on her MCAT and doesn't want to make an account.
Okay. It's just that all the first person references made it a little confusing. Why weren't you able to help her?

TBH, it sounds like she spent a ton of money on this and achieved absolutely no results. Isn't she pissed, and what do the prep companies have to say for themselves? A normal person doing a tiny fraction of what she did would achieve some sort of meaningful improvement, coming off such a low base.

There HAS to be something else going on, that she is not telling you, or that you are not telling us. It's inconceivable that anyone on SDN is going to be able to make a recommendation that will move the needle when nothing you detailed above did. JMHO as someone who had access to none of the resources your friend had and managed to score above 492, on my first and only attempt.

I definitely agree with what you are saying, I think that she is frustrated with all the money and time she has put into prep with no results. For reference, she is my girlfriend and I do want her to get her MCAT score up, but there seems to be some kind of barrier that is holding her back. I have tried to tutor her as well part time but her main problem is that she has issues applying concepts to the passages and will often overthink questions that are straightforward. I have told her numerous times that she has to extract the concept that the passage and question are asking for, and I think that is what she needs to work on most.

The person who scored a 492 twice is below the 25th percentile for MCAT test takers. Scores in this range typically reflect: 1. inadequate study time preparing for the mcat 2. ineffective mcat practice 3. lack of content mastery and 4. poor test taking skills and strategy (reflected in CARS). Folks that rely on passive study methods, which you describe above, tend to struggle greatly on the mcat. Most of the students I work with rely on passive study techniques because typically it is how folks study in premed classes that rely heavily on memorization as opposed to reasoning. The MCAT is a critical thinking and reading test that is rooted in scientific concepts. It is very very difficult to memorize one's way to a high mcat score.

I recommend the following:
1. A four month preparation period where the person studies for 3+ hours per day. Goal should be to hit 500+ hours by test day. The vast majority of those hours must be developed to practice and analysis - not content review.
2. Creating a study plan that is roughly 1/3 content review and 2/3 practice passages, questions, and FL exams. Person should aim to complete 10 FL exams by test day. The single biggest mistake most folks say they made after taking the MCAT is spending too much time on content review and not enough time on practice.
3. Person needs to engage active learning strategies instead of passive learning. Passive learning is watching videos, attending class, or reading review books. Active learning is drawing concept maps, writing pathways from memory, answering passage style questions and analyzing correct/incorrect answers for errors in reasoning and content gaps.
4. Person needs to prepare like they will take the test. If the person is going to test in the morning, they need to take practice tests in the morning. Simulated conditions help improve performance and decrease anxiety
5. Person likely needs to work with a tutor - not to explain/teach content - but to provide guidance for test taking strategies and to help keep preparation on track. I worked with a tutor during MCAT prep and it was probably the single best decision I made.
6. Daily CARS practice passages. CARS is the single most difficult section to improve one's score on. Some folks have an easy time with it, others really struggle. Unfortunately, because there isn't "content" for CARS, it is usually receives the least amount of time devoted to it during prep. This is a huge tactical error as the skills developed in CARS permeate all other sections of the MCAT. It is 1/4 of the final score and should be treated as such. Focus on developing reading strategies, analyze how language is used in nuanced ways, and the patterns in which questions and answers are constructed.
7. During the last 4 weeks, switch to only using AAMC material. Use the scores as a gauge of performance. If the person is not scoring within their target range they need to delay the exam. Since this is the 3rd attempt, one should expect some score increase from using the tests before. Factor in 1-2 points per section that can be attributed to recalling info from prior practice with the tests.

Rules for MCAT Questions:
1. Always trust the information in the passage - even if it contradicts a concept. The data is the data. Period.
2. Always answer the question that is being asked and not what you think the right answer is. This is key.
3. Pick the best answer - there are typically more than one answer that is partially correct, but you must identify the best answer.
4. Always pick the answer choice that is one logical step or inference away from the information presented in the passage. Do not select the answer that is more than one logical step or inference away from the information in the passage. This is a very common error for CARS questions.
5. Highlight double negatives in questions and answers. Always. So many points get lost to this mistake.
6. Do not over complicate the question. Remember, the MCAT is a test of one's ability to apply broad scientific concepts to new novel scenarios. Many techniques and experiments will be unfamiliar to the vast majority of test takers. Identify what the question is asking and what concepts are related and go from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you greenduck, I think this is exactly what she needs. I agree with your point that she is studying too passively. I will relay this post to her.

I definitely agree with what you are saying, I think that she is frustrated with all the money and time she has put into prep with no results. For reference, she is my girlfriend and I do want her to get her MCAT score up, but there seems to be some kind of barrier that is holding her back. I have tried to tutor her as well part time but her main problem is that she has issues applying concepts to the passages and will often overthink questions that are straightforward. I have told her numerous times that she has to extract the concept that the passage and question are asking for, and I think that is what she needs to work on most.
Wow. I'm really sorry to hear this. It still seems like something is going on because one would think mere exposure to the overabundance of material she had access to would nudge the score up a few points from where it was without it. If all of those resources did not help goose a 492, it's unclear what will.

The GPA looks good, and we can take your word that the ECs are where they need to be. While conventional wisdom is that anyone can conquer the test with the right preparation, that just might not be true for everyone, in which case the key to success will be to find a school that will accept that score, whether it be MD, DO, podiatry, etc. In hindsight, she'd have been a perfect candidate for a BS/MD program that doesn't require the MCAT.

Again, maybe someone else will have some brilliant idea, but it seems to me like she had access to a pretty impressive array of resources and they didn't help at all, so I certainly wouldn't know where to begin to make a suggestion.

Wow. I'm really sorry to hear this. It still seems like something is going on because one would think mere exposure to the overabundance of material she had access to would nudge the score up a few points from where it was without it. If all of those resources did not help goose a 492, it's unclear what will.

The GPA looks good, and we can take your word that the ECs are where they need to be. While conventional wisdom is that anyone can conquer the test with the right preparation, that just might not be true for everyone
Tutoring and prep classes can be incredibly useful (if folks approach them with the right mindset) but they can also create a false sense of security in feeling like progress is being made when it actually isn't. I see this on occasion with students that I work with who feel good during our practice sessions and then tend to take their foot of the gas, so to speak, between sessions. It can be a bit awkward to call it out but it is important.

Tutoring and prep classes can be incredibly useful (if folks approach them with the right mindset) but they can also create a false sense of security in feeling like progress is being made when it actually isn't. I see this on occasion with students that I work with who feel good during our practice sessions and then tend to take their foot of the gas, so to speak, between sessions. It can be a bit awkward to call it out but it is important.
So if you're weak in several content areas, just do practice passages on those areas and review the content you missed afterwards?