mcat study guide question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwest

dbush
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all
Could any one recomend a good study guide for the mcat. I have seen 6 books for the mcat online I don't want to burn 60 bucks on the wrong one. Thanks all and happy new years.

kwest
There is no such thing as a 'self-made' man. We are made up of thousands of others. Everyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the make-up of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success."
George Burton Adams

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't checked out the mcat forum yet, I would recommend doing that. There is a ton of information about review materials and how well students feel that they worked. Anything Kaplan, PR, and examkrackers is good stuff. The rest is left up to preferance, because they take different approaches in certain sections (subtle differences)!

kwest said:
hello all
Could any one recomend a good study guide for the mcat. I have seen 6 books for the mcat online I don't want to burn 60 bucks on the wrong one. Thanks all and happy new years.

kwest
There is no such thing as a 'self-made' man. We are made up of thousands of others. Everyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the make-up of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success."
George Burton Adams

def. take a review course, particularly if you haven't taken the courses in awhile...its helping me so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked Kaplan's review book. I didn't take any course, just used that book. Also I got the practice tests from the MCAT's website. Good luck to you.

I'm in for next year and took the test once with minimal study, then had to reapply for 2005 admission. What i did was...
1. get all of the old aamcas practice tests u can get ahold of. These will not have the amount of genetics or biochem stuff you need, but everything else rocks. I did not have genetics in my b.a. or in prereq's., and it showed on the mcat.
2. I would do 3 or 4 questions/passages out of each section @ a time. Timed! Then go back thru each question in the passage and take notes on what you did wrong n a journal. Go find the answers and the answers to the answers (wherever that leads you). I used Kaplan and Examkrackers, then went to my class books.
3. Take at a minimum, 3 full length tests prior to april. I took 4. One early, one two weeks later, one in March and one @ the beg. of April.
4. practice problems, practice problems, practice problems!!! Use the books problems, old test problems, any problems u can find with passages. On the physical sect., I didn't read passages unless i needed information. I went straight to the problem. Don't over calculate until u need to. Most answers I could reason out in the phys. and chem.
5. Practice verbal more than you think you should!! I did and went from 6 to 10.
6. Dont B..S... yourself. You only lose!
7. Take a min. semester load, if possible.
8 & #1. Pray and have people praying for you!!

work hard and you'll be fine!

Hey,
I took the Kaplan MCAT class and found the books and index cards helpful. When I was done, I gave all my stuff away. Ask someone who took the class or something like that class for the books and smile when you do. :D