SMP or study for MCAT more

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlife57

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 3.6 gpa GPA and solid app besides mcat.

But am currently scoring low on my mcat practice 497-498 self study. My goal is to apply this year DO only and take the MCAT in July or August (with my app submitted sometime in late June-July). I have also been accepted into a DO SMP with a guaranteed interview upon completion and meeting program requirements. The min mcat needed for the program to get into the DO school is 490. If you were in my shoes was would you do? forget the SMP and study for the mcat and apply. Or apply while also doing this SMP? It is noted that this SMP's campus is my ideal location close to family, BUT I worry I could waste 25k and do poorly. I think I could break 500 which I've heard is okay for DO.

Please help, I'm a bit of a nontrad and on tad the "older" side.

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need to do a SMP with a GPA of 3.6 . Concentrate on the MCAT but do not take the test until your practice scores are consistently over 500. An October application is not late for DO schools so you could take a September MCAT if it takes that long to increase your practice scores.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, I have a 3.6 gpa GPA and solid app besides mcat.

But am currently scoring low on my mcat practice 497-498 self study. My goal is to apply this year DO only and take the MCAT in July or August (with my app submitted sometime in late June-July). I have also been accepted into a DO SMP with a guaranteed interview upon completion and meeting program requirements. The min mcat needed for the program to get into the DO school is 490. If you were in my shoes was would you do? forget the SMP and study for the mcat and apply. Or apply while also doing this SMP? It is noted that this SMP's campus is my ideal location close to family, BUT I worry I could waste 25k and do poorly. I think I could break 500 which I've heard is okay for DO.

Please help, I'm a bit of a nontrad and on tad the "older" side.
You don't need an SMP. THE DO school is just trying to milk you for a years tuition.

Do well on the MCAT, that's all.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If the DO school is your top choice and you don't want to apply anywhere else, take the "finishing school" SMP option and qualify for linkage admission. Otherwise, get the high MCAT score.

An SMP is virtually never worth it for somebody with a 3.6 GPA. Keep studying for the MCAT.