MCAT Study guides

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPyrple

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, So I plan on taking my MCAT in April and I'm wondering what the best review tools are. I have a copy of Barrons's review book, but the only review onlne I saw about it was HORRIBLE so now I'm worried its not what I need. I'm a pretty good test taker so I'm not looking for tricks or anything like that, I just want a review of the material I should know. Are classes worth the money? Right now I'm looking at getting a copy of Kaplan's premier program and maybe some other tools if I've got the money.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Stay away from prep classes. A complete waste of time if you ask me. Heres what I would recommend:

Physics: Nova Physics or Princeton review, EK (If you are good at physics and know it pretty well)

GenChem: I like Princeton review.

Organic Chem: EK orgo chem (all you really need to know)

Verbal: EK 101 Passages

Biology: EK Bio

Writing: seriously? hehe

Do all AAMC tests. Best predictor of your score hands down. EK 1001 series just for practice.

Good luck!

I took Princeton Review, and I highly recommend taking their course. It really helped me develop an "MCAT intuition" and a greater understanding of science as a whole.

Hey, So I plan on taking my MCAT in April and I'm wondering what the best review tools are. I have a copy of Barrons's review book, but the only review onlne I saw about it was HORRIBLE so now I'm worried its not what I need. I'm a pretty good test taker so I'm not looking for tricks or anything like that, I just want a review of the material I should know. Are classes worth the money? Right now I'm looking at getting a copy of Kaplan's premier program and maybe some other tools if I've got the money.

Thanks!

I'll add a shameless promotion of BR stuff, but with the confidence that it's pretty much what everyone who's used them says too.

For general chemistry, BR is by far the best. It teaches new ways to look at things and strategies for answering questions quickly. It also incorporates some physics, biology, and orgo.

For physics, it seems most people who've done multiple books conclude that it's either BR or Nova.

For orgo, does it really matter given how lightly it's tested? Every book is overkill. I like BR's book, but I don't think it makes a difference as long as you review the very basic reactions and lab techniques.

I'll pass on recommending anything for biology and verbal, because to be perfectly honest, BR stuff gets average reviews and I feel awkward recommending other materials (might get me some not so nice feedback from the bosses ;) ).

You should read the many threads that have popped up on this same topic over the past year or two.

Honestly, I took the Kaplan course and it was helpful to some extent, esp with 11 Kaplan Full Lengths for extra practice, plus tips and tricks.

In terms of materials, I studied using only ExamCrackers books (the complete set) and did most of the questions for practice using EK 1001 books. For verbal, I recommend EK Verbal 101 for content similar to the actual exam and Kaplan's Verbal (the one I used was from the course) for practicing reading long and tedious passages.

Lastly, finish off with practice exams from Kaplan and AAMCs. Definitely spend your time and do all of the AAMCs 3-10 and review them over (correct and wrong answers).

Examkrackers books are really good for letting you focus on what exactly to study and not to study to minimize stress and maximize studies, not to mention they also have great pneumonic tips if you're into those.