1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MCAT study material

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by bob_xxx, 09.24.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. bob_xxx

bob_xxx

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have a question regarding the study material for the MCAT. On the official website they assessment package only offers guides about the MCAT and practice questions but where do you I find information on the specific topics themselves so I can refresh my memory on each of those subjects.

For instance for the biological portion of the exam there are topics such as Enzyme Structure and Function or Control of Enzyme Activity. Now where would I find more information about these? Will I have to refer to my past textbooks/notes or will I just have to know the material and practice the questions?

I heard Khan Academy was a good source to use as study material is this true?
    Also I plan on taking the exam in January 2015, so will the Khan academy material be out of date by then? On Khan Academy it says that its MCAT material is prepared for individuals attempting to take the MCAT in Spring 2015. So will it be okay if I use it for January 2015?

Last edited: 09.24.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. bob_xxx

bob_xxx

Anyone?

4. texan2414

texan2414 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Khan Academy is an excellent resource.
    Most students who self-study the material purchase Review books (Berkeley Review, Princeton, EK, or Kaplan). You can find many of them online and they give you (hopefully) targeted info for the MCAT.

Personally, I think going back to textbooks from past classes will waste too much of your time if you do that for every content topic listed on AAMC outlines.

5. texan2414

texan2414 2+ Year Member

Khan Academy material is applicable to both current and 2015 MCAT.

6. bob_xxx

bob_xxx

Okay, I heard Princeton Review is really good, and I had councilors from my University give me pamphlets about them but I went on there site and they offer courses which are very expensive, like $2500 and they only provide them in March/June etc. Is there specific books provided by them that are the best for the MCAT? I kind of have a low budget.

I see, that's good to know. Thanks

Last edited: 09.24.14
  7. texan2414

texan2414 2+ Year Member

You don't have to enroll in one of their courses. Yes, they're quite expensive. But there are thousands of people who self study using resources for dime on a dollar sometimes in SDN sales section.
    There is no single book that is BEST for the mcat but you have to stick with something and if needed, have to use other resources to help you supplement for knowledge.

8. bob_xxx

bob_xxx

Alright what are some cheap MCAT textbooks? Right Now I am using Khan Acedamy and the official AAMC guidebook and self assessment. Will that be adequate or do you guys recommend some other sources that in your opinion are pretty good at helping you learn better and more easily.

9. the_fella

the_fella

Non-Student
  10. NextStepTutor_1

NextStepTutor_1 Next Step MCAT Tutor Exhibitor 2+ Year Member

SDN
    Exhibitor
    I have to say you're already off to a great start. Most students utilize the AAMC content outlines towards the end of their studying, and that's a mistake. It's more work to utilize them early on, but it's well worth it.

As for additional content materials, I recommend TBR which you may find semi-cheaply on the "for sales" thread here on SDN as well as TPR hyper-learning verbal workbook and science workbook. Supplement these with Khan, AAMC content outlines, AAMC practice test, and flashcards + MCAT Question a Day (free, online) and you've got yourself pretty much covered.

About the ads