MCAT Study Schedule/Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhoot7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated college and am very nervous for the MCAT. I am in no rush to apply to medical school and have over 1000 clinical hours. I also have a good GPA at 3.98 for 3 years and 3.579 (3 semesters) at 4- year college. However, I am starting to study for the MCAT. Anyone have any tips for me? I need some advice on a study schedule. I tend to not do as well on standarized tests so I will study longer than most students do.

Additionally, I have access to several books. What books do you recommend? I got Kaplan and am thinking of getting another one. I know my weak areas are physics, CARS, and organic chemistry. I am thinking either Princeton Reviews or Berkely. My goal is a 505-510 on the MCAT. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Remember that burnout is real. Stay human and functional. Make time for friends and family because without socials support, your performance may be reduced.

Biochemistry and CARS should be your early focus

CARS : start with 101 EK verbal to get the a feeling of the pace and follow "testing solutions" thread on SDN.

About a month and half before your test, start FL and extensively review them

You should know if you are ready or not 2 weeks before your test day.

I just graduated college and am very nervous for the MCAT. I am in no rush to apply to medical school and have over 1000 clinical hours. I also have a good GPA at 3.98 for 3 years and 3.579 (3 semesters) at 4- year college. However, I am starting to study for the MCAT. Anyone have any tips for me? I need some advice on a study schedule. I tend to not do as well on standarized tests so I will study longer than most students do.

Additionally, I have access to several books. What books do you recommend? I got Kaplan and am thinking of getting another one. I know my weak areas are physics, CARS, and organic chemistry. I am thinking either Princeton Reviews or Berkely. My goal is a 505-510 on the MCAT. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Practice, practice, practice! It's a good way to remind yourself of the material you learned in college and also a good way to figure out what to expect from the exam. I tell my advisees that part of mastering the MCAT is being physically ready to sit for such a long exam.

Remember that burnout is real. Stay human and functional. Make time for friends and family because without socials support, your performance may be reduced.

Biochemistry and CARS should be your early focus

CARS : start with 101 EK verbal to get the a feeling of the pace and follow "testing solutions" thread on SDN.

About a month and half before your test, start FL and extensively review them

You should know if you are ready or not 2 weeks before your test day.
By FL you mean the full length practice tests?

What's the best study schedule? I feel like my organic chemistry is awful. I have princeton review and am waiting for my Kaplan books to come. I'm borrowing them.