MCAT study timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laxgirl06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am planning on taking the MCAT the earliest in January 2018. I am planning on using a long-term self-study approach because I learn best when I am isolated, breaking things down systematically, teaching them to myself in my own way.

Available Resources
2016 TBR 10 book set
TPR CARS Hyperlearning 2015
EK 101 Verbal Reasoning
TPR Science Workbook
30 Day Guide to CARS - Testing Solutions

What would people recommend to 'begin with'? I have a one-month uninterrupted study period coming up in a few weeks. I don't know which 'section/stategy' would be the best to begin with? Is it content review? Would going over the 10 book set twice before I took the MCAT be a good idea?

I'm trying to 'lay the foundation.' Something else my prep books recommend is outside reading. Would that be something to focus on? Or reading for example JAMA articles until I am competent at analyzing the data presented in those articles be beneficial at this time? My foundation period will be from mid December to about May or June...then I plan to start intense preparation in June. Would focusing on CARS be a good idea? Because I am less likely to forget CARS than physics, for example? Or would making all of my Anki flashcards for all my subjects be a good idea, so I can do weekly/bi-weekly review, so that when June rolls around, I can breeze through those flashcards while doing content review, and dedicate months on practice? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, especially from people who have taken the MCAT and/or used the above resources.

Disclaimer: I know a lot of people say 3 months is the ideal time, but I know my deficiencies and know that is not sufficient for me.

TLDR: What section do I start with when doing a long-term approach to MCAT prep?

Members don't see this ad.

If you really want to torture yourself and take a year to study for the MCAT then, assuming you'll actually dedicate a lot of time throughout the process, I'd say start with the TBR. I'd also supplement it with the Kaplan Biochem book, as it was really helpful. Go through the TBR slowly. I'd also start with doing just a few passages a week. Try to save the best passages until the few months before the exam. The best thing you could do now for the verbal is read a lot of various science articles, NYT, or the ecomomist.

Reactions: 1 users
:rofl::banana:It's not torture. :D MCAT studying is fun.......:lol:Kaplan Biochem book, can that be bought individually? Yeah, that was my plan, to read TNY, NYT, Economist, etc and perfect my CARS skills. Thanks.
If you really want to torture yourself and take a year to study for the MCAT then, assuming you'll actually dedicate a lot of time throughout the process, I'd say start with the TBR. I'd also supplement it with the Kaplan Biochem book, as it was really helpful. Go through the TBR slowly. I'd also start with doing just a few passages a week. Try to save the best passages until the few months before the exam. The best thing you could do now for the verbal is read a lot of various science articles, NYT, or the ecomomist.

:rofl::banana:It's not torture. :D MCAT studying is fun.......:lol:Kaplan Biochem book, can that be bought individually? Yeah, that was my plan, to read TNY, NYT, Economist, etc and perfect my CARS skills. Thanks.

Yes, you can buy it individually. Go to amazon.com to find it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're taking a long-term approach to the MCAT, it may in your best interest to not necessarily start in "one place." Personally, I liked doing the MCAT Question of the Day thing that a lot of websites do.

Recently, this has also translated onto YouTube and there are several MCAT questions where there is one "MCAT Question of the Day." Doing these over the long term can be EXTREMELY beneficial and I think it would facilitate your studying. Check out these channels:

If you're taking a long-term approach to the MCAT, it may in your best interest to not necessarily start in "one place." Personally, I liked doing the MCAT Question of the Day thing that a lot of websites do.

Recently, this has also translated onto YouTube and there are several MCAT questions where there is one "MCAT Question of the Day." Doing these over the long term can be EXTREMELY beneficial and I think it would facilitate your studying. Check out these channels:

Thank you for the advice! In terms of something like increasing my ability to interpret graphs, figures in scientific passages, do you think something like reading JAMA articles would help? Or would I be better off buying a specific MCAT book that focuses on increasing those skills?

3-5 Months is what I'd recommend. Too little and its not time, too much time and you start forgetting what you started to review. Hope it helps

Best advice I can give you is to be flexible and trust your instincts. You know how you study best. You've done it through college. Don't change it. If you're feeling braindead don't force yourself to study. Just take the day to relax and tackle the content the next day with a vengeance.

Hey so I spent about six months studying and adapted from a nine month study plan that I'll link below. Anki is good if you're going through your review books to start with. The Anki cards I made in the beginning were the ones I remembered best which is pretty common. Also it takes some time to figure out how to use Anki cards so its good to start early and figure out what works best for you. Good luck!

For reference this plan worked well for me: 520(130/130/130/130)
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-i-prepped-for-a-526.1146107/

Hey so I spent about six months studying and adapted from a nine month study plan that I'll link below. Anki is good if you're going through your review books to start with. The Anki cards I made in the beginning were the ones I remembered best which is pretty common. Also it takes some time to figure out how to use Anki cards so its good to start early and figure out what works best for you. Good luck!

For reference this plan worked well for me: 520(130/130/130/130)
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-i-prepped-for-a-526.1146107/
Hi, that's exactly what I was planning on doing along with the TBR home study plan. How did you adapt the plan to fit in six months? Did you add anything?

Hi, that's exactly what I was planning on doing along with the TBR home study plan. How did you adapt the plan to fit in six months? Did you add anything?
Hey so come to think of it, I actually did it more in like 4.5 months...
1)I did all of the TPR books content review and initial Anki cards in about 1.5 months.
2) Next I took my first practice exam.
3) Then I did all of the Khan Academy practice problems and content review
4) Throughout the Khan Academy work I took some TPR tests
5) 6 weeks before my tests I did some of the AAMC material (some section banks and question packs I believe...)
6) 4 weeks before the test I took the AAMC full length scored. I recommend not taking this the week before like most people do that way you have lots of time to go through it and improve your score.
7) Those next four weeks I worked on the low points of my AAMC full length test, kept doing Khan Academy, and kept reviewing Anki cards (which I did throughout).

Mainly the way I was able to adapt it was that while he spent maybe an hour a day while he was working/ in school I spent hours in the morning before work and hours at night after work and all day on most weekends. Then I had a whole free 6 weeks before the test where I was able to get a lot done. Let me know if you have any specific questions as you go along...if you stick to a plan and make sure you're doing well on practice tests it should all workout!

I took a year to study and it was miserable honestly. Raised my score ~20 points though. Good luck.