MCAT Study Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawkeye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be taking the MCATs soon. I was wondering if anyone had any great methods for studying for them. Books, pratice tests, classes, other?? What is a fairly competetive score one must get to be considered for admission??

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone studies for the MCAT differently but here is how I studied:

1. Get one or 2 good MCAT review books, I would recomend 2. Try to get a hold of some of the old Kaplan books from your premed advisor or a friend. If you can not get those I really like the Kaplan test prep book that I bought. Have a second book then from a totally different company to use to help you understand issues that may be confusing in the first text.

2. Using the outline of chapter in the table of contents of the book you choose make a schedule from now until your MCAT test date planning your study activities down to the chapter.

3. Go to www.aamc.org/findinfo/aamcpubs.reqpubs/ordforms/oform.htm and get some more supplies. I would stongly recomend getting all 3 practice tests and the sample items.

4. Schedule time for yourself to take all of these sample tests and the sample items. Make sure you do several of these practice test all in one day trying to take the same breaks etc. as would be done during your actual MCAT day. This will prepare you for the long day that you will have when you do actually take the test.

5. After you take the practice tests and practice items grade yourself and then go through each item and look up why you got them wrong and if you need help find someone like old profs. to help you figure out why you were wrong.

6. If ther are areas covered by the MCAT that you have not had (for me this was fluids, solids, circuits, sound and optics) find someone to teach it to you. I explained the situation to my physics prof and he led a weekly study group for those of us taking the MCAT that year. It really helped.

7. Start now.

8. As you get closer to test day make a list of the formulas you need to know and put them on flashcards that you can review the week before the test.

9. don't plan anyother MCAT studying during that week.

I know this is a huge list but it is what worked for me I hope it is helpful.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Thanks a ton, how long before the test did you start studying??

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan.

I did their longer, once a week program: Mid November to April. Worked well for me (35R).

Yes, the last day you 'should' study is Wednesday before the test: DO NOT study on Thu, Fri, or Sat. AM. If you don't know it by Wed., you'll just have to punt. Studying beyond Wed. eve. will only serve to confuse you beyond belief. RELAX RELAX RELAX...

Oh, yeah: take Kaplan, too.

------------------
-PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

"Never give in, never give in,
never, never, never, never..."

-Sir Winston Churchill, 1944

I started working toward the MCAT the summer before jsut working on test taking skills for the MCAT. I didn't actually start studying until over the Christmas break. I did not take Kaplan though I heard it is a good course. Of the 3 people in my class (undergrad) who took the MCAT 2 took Kaplan (33, 30) and I did not (32) I know several people last year who took Kaplan, worked their butts off and never missed a clas and still only got a 26 and are retaking the test.

What I am trying to say is Kaplan is great, I benefited from my classmates that were taking Kaplan because I tried to keep up with what they were doing at Kaplan but it is not a necessity if you don't have the money.

Good Luck

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

A little note on those AAMC practice tests: they are way way way too easy. Nothing like the real thing. A complete waste of time for me. I scored like 13-14 on all the sections of those practice tests and didn't come close to that on the real thing. Just one thing to remember.

Arnold
Western U/COMP Class of 2004

I did basically what Carrie said, and full length practice tests, practice tests, practice tests!!!

It's 8 hours long and takes a lot of stamina to keep concentrating on the questions for that long.