MCAT studying method TBR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly,

The more I study for MCAT using TBR, more I am relying on instinct and concept of the subject to solve problems. Its good in a way that its fast. But I am bit scared that I am getting lazy and prefer not to to use my brain to come up with equations and writing things down. I am bit worried about this habit because it will be bad when I actually get questions on the real MCAT where I have to actually pull out equations from my head and solve them.

Is this a valid concern?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your instincts and concepts are grounded in good theory, there's no need to waste time with math. Math is beautiful because it's never wrong, but what matters is that you understand the link between mathematical equations and variables and the science behind it. To address your concern, I would aim to be good at math, both in terms of calculations and manipulations of equations, but I would definitely gain a conceptual understanding first. For some things, conceptual understanding is the same thing as knowing a formula, like F = ma, or V = IR. The MCAT doesn't require you to know complex equations. The most you will have to memorize is the kinematics equations, and, in worst case scenario, you can derive them from basic mechanics and definitions.

but there are some questions that I come across on TBR where equation wise its complex, but conceptually, rather simple. So if my thinking somehow gets stuck during the real test, since I am not really practicing how to solve for problems using equations, I will be stuck and not be able to utilize an appropriate equation thus get it wrong. Sometimes, equations are just so easy to fall back on.

It doesn't matter how you arrive at the answer, as long as it's the correct answer on the MCAT. You will see some problems on the MCAT that will require some detailed math but nothing too hard. The hardest part isn't doing the algebra, but understanding when equations apply, what assumptions need to be made, etc. This is more "conceptual" than "mathematical" though. Give me some examples from TBR.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, the questions I am referring to are mostly from the lecture portion examples from the book. I guess the passage questions are mostly conceptual. Since I have not taken any practice test, I don't really know how much the real MCAT questions will be like TBR passage questions since TBR passage questions were formulated to help us understand the concept.

well, the questions I am referring to are mostly from the lecture portion examples from the book. I guess the passage questions are mostly conceptual. Since I have not taken any practice test, I don't really know how much the real MCAT questions will be like TBR passage questions since TBR passage questions were formulated to help us understand the concept.

Maybe my response here is fueled by a high that came from reading how well SDN BR-users did on the recent January MCATs, but I'd say you are in a GREAT situation. What worries you is actually a skill that most test takers never develop. You're thinking logically and taking advantage of the multiple-choice nature of the exam, which is one of the greatest things you can learn to do when preparing for the MCAT. Learning to do that will drive your scores up. Go look at how many 13+ PS scores there are in that thread and how many used BR and that should inspire you to feel good about your predicament.

The one thing I'd strong suggest is that you do plenty of passages. Getting used to the exam and learning to filter what matters from the din of the passage will prove highly valuable.

Thanks TBR. I am almost fully convinced that TBR is awesome, however, I am bit paranoid. I mean there are way too many easy really obvious questions on the TBR books and handouts and I feel like I should be doing more problems involved in really complicated mathematical questions such as knowing the relationship between the diameter of a blood vessel and the blood flow resistance relationship which supposedly has 1/r^4 relationship. It is these kind of quesitons that really worries me.

I can't wait to start practicing the real MCAT to see how realistically I can apply the techniques I learnt in TBR on the actual test. What worries me is that knowing what I know from TBR, the test seems too simple, not too scientific and just plain unnerving and unlike anything I have done in school and etc... Mostly just really unnerving. Almost like a child's puzzle game except playing with college level science knowledge instead of blocks of letters.

In the TBR book, it seems that almost any question involving a bit complicated mathematical equation can be solved with other method of various logics besides the ones involving the actual equation. Someone tell me that thats how the real MCAT actually is and that it is not a careless mistake on the part of the TBR questions/answer preparer.

i love the fact that TBR emphasizes the intuitive approach. it really begs the question of how much you understand a concept and can apply it, which is the right methodology for the MCAT which is mult. choice and therefore more based on conceptual grasp/problem solving ability versus equation/number crunching. i am in the same position - done a lot of TBR stuff but no FL's, so i have yet to see the fruits of my labors. But the basic premise is very strong - which is that knowing the concepts very well, plus a little math when needed (and correctly applied) = higher score on MCAT. I think the BR + FL combo is pretty great as long as you give yourself enough time for the entire process. I plan to do at least seven FL's.