MCAT Studying Questions Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrince

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior almost a senior and I plan to take the MCAT around spring 2014 but this is my schedule next 2 semesters..

Organic 1 and 2
Physics 1 and 2
Biology 2

(obviously other classes but this is the MCAT material)

I was a late bloomer to the whole medical world was pre-pt before so I am wondering should I use the MCAT study material as a supplement with my classes? I am not sure what study material I should get either my parents think I should just follow along in the study material instead of going over it again after I finish the classes.
I really need help because I am totally lost on the best approach. I have strong study habits and dedicated so I want to do this the best way I can.

Members don't see this ad.

No need to use MCAT supplemental material with your classes. Go to the MCAT section of this forum to get more advice, but I used the Berkeley Review for all the sciences and ExamKrackers 101 for verbal reasoning. I scored well on the MCAT with those and felt confident. Be sure to take the real, actual practice exams before the test. I took 7 or 8 practice tests.

I just figure that if I used it as a supplement it may give more info than my textbook and I can make notes etc instead of having to reread everything. I am not sure if anyone has ever done this or if it is even needed since it will be so fresh in my head. I posted in the MCAT section as well but I was wanting to see if anyone here has done this too

Members don't see this ad :)
I just figure that if I used it as a supplement it may give more info than my textbook and I can make notes etc instead of having to reread everything. I am not sure if anyone has ever done this or if it is even needed since it will be so fresh in my head. I posted in the MCAT section as well but I was wanting to see if anyone here has done this too

Just focus on learning the material for your classes and doing well on them. In the spring, set aside 1-2 months (2-3 if you are in class fulltime) for studying for the MCAT. Most MCAT material is setup as a review of the concepts you learn in the courses, so just study hard and make sure you study for understanding and do well in the courses.

Given that you would be taking the MCAT so close to taking the bulk of pre-reqs, it shouldn't be too hard for you to review for the MCAT. That being said, make sure you take a good amount of full-length practice tests under test conditions before your exam. Only take the exam after you are averaging above your target/above where you would be comfortable. I know many people, myself included, that scored a couple points below their average on the real thing.

You only want to take it once.

True I just wasn't sure if using it as a supplement would be useful but I am taking them so close so it is convenient I know a lot of people don't finish out there orgo 2 before taking it. I have a full schedule both fall and spring to graduate because my major screwed me up. I was hoping to take the test in April and send out applications but I don't want to go crazy trying to rush

Any advice on the study material also if I were to buy it now would it still be valid for next summer

Any advice on the study material also if I were to buy it now would it still be valid for next summer

As long as you take it in 2014, any material from 2006 until now is still valid. That being said, obviously you want the most up to date material, but one year won't make a difference. Make sure you take it before 2015 though, or else everything will be different.

I would suggest taking it at the end of April or even in May so you have some time out of school completely devoted to studying/practice tests. Just make sure you submit the application on the first day to get in line for verification, then when your scores come in, they can be sent to complete your app.

As far as material goes, I just used the Kaplan course books for review. I've heard the TPR books are good for the sciences, and examcrackers is good for verbal, but I haven't personally used them.

The issue with that is I graduate in the spring but my major requires a 600 hour internship before I get my degree which is during the summer after I graduate so it makes things difficult

The issue with that is I graduate in the spring but my major requires a 600 hour internship before I get my degree which is during the summer after I graduate so it makes things difficult

It has to be in the summer? You are basically going to have a free year after college as you wait for med school. If you could do it in the fall (or even spring), that would probably be ideal. If not, then you are stuck, and you should just stick with your original plan. Just make sure you take the practice tests like I mentioned. You need to be comfortable with the format and timing before you take it.

Well I work with the research group now so I may be able t work something out that year just sounds dreadful :(

For MCAT purposes, long term learning is key. Most people cram, regurgitate, and forget. That will not help you for the MCAT. Looking over the material a second time, a few days, then again in a week, then in a few weeks will help drive that material into long term memory. That is why you need to NOT use the review material while you are studying for your class, unless you look at it again after some time has passed.

This is an answer to your original question. It sounds like you have a dilemma on your hands with what to do. From the sounds of it, you will have a gap year no matter what. I hope you can make the most of it.

Good luck.

dsoz