MCAT Test Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted600623

Hi all,

I'm currently preparing to study for the MCAT and am at the point where I just want to take the test and get over with. I've narrowed my options to using Altius and studying for 5 months in the spring or using TPR in late fall and taking the test in January or February (or later if need be) My fall consists of working full time as a scribe. However, when I start prep, I will cut back to 20 hours at the most. Should I be patient and study for longer in the spring or just start in late fall and get it over with by February? I should add that I won't be applying until 2018-2019 cycle due to residency reasons.

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@bon22 I haven't taken a diagnostic test yet or any practice tests.
AHHH makes more sense now. I don't think I can recommend a schedule for you specifically since I don't know how time consuming a scribe can be. I can say though that you won't regret working as a scribe more, but you will regret not studying for the MCAT as much as you could have.

I would recommend studying for longer as well. Personally, I did Altius over an 8 month period and couldn't be happier with how I ended up scoring. Of course, I can't really compare it to other test preps as that's the only one I did, but I felt like their practice exams reflected the real thing very well (although they were scored harder) and their methods all seemed to be based on actual research about how people learn. That's my little plug for them, but of course lots of people do other prep and do very well on the MCAT.

@kegar99 Thank you for the advice! It's good to hear from a student who actually used Altius. I originally started studying for the MCAT with altius last fall but it was way too much to handle with school on top of it. Do you think 5 months will be enough or should I consider starting a little bit in November?

@kegar99 Thank you for the advice! It's good to hear from a student who actually used Altius. I originally started studying for the MCAT with altius last fall but it was way too much to handle with school on top of it. Do you think 5 months will be enough or should I consider starting a little bit in November?
I guess it just depends on how much time you have to devote to it. Like I said, I did 8 months, but I was also doing school full time, working part time, and doing other ECs during all that time. So if you're able to dedicate a lot of time to MCAT, 5 months should be fine, but it also doesn't hurt to start earlier if you're able to. I really liked having my studying spread out over such a long time, it helped me to really solidify stuff before I took the test.