MCAT MCAT Tip: Should I Time Myself While Doing MCAT Practice Problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT Self Prep

Vendor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often should I be doing practice problems? Our analysis of top MCAT scorers has revealed that those who succeed on the MCAT make doing practice problems the central aspect of their study plan. For this reason, you should start doing practice problems from day one. Doing so will give you an understanding of your strengths and weaknesses, allowing you to craft your study time around improving where it matters most.

Should I time myself when doing practice problems? Some top scorers highly recommend timing yourself while doing practice problems while some do not. This is largely dependent on you as a test taker. Are you the kind of student that always needs more time to finish a test? If so, you may want to start timing your practice sessions from day one. If not, you may want to wait to start timing yourself until the final month of your MCAT preparation. When timing yourself, give yourself about one-and-a-half minutes per question.

How can I get more help on practice problems? Sometimes it can be hard to figure out why you answered a practice problem wrong. You may feel like two answer choices are equally correct. This is why it helps to study with someone who has already done well on the MCAT. Our 99th percentile tutors can walk you through even the most difficult practice problems. They will help you understand why the correct answers are correct and why the incorrect options are incorrect. They will also give you the guidance needed to solve a similar problem in the future. Schedule your first session today to get started!

Members don't see this ad.