MCAT to USMLE Step 1 converter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh I didn't think that. I was agreeing with the last part of your statement. And adding that I think the ones that I saw were happy.

Sorry I'm a little lazy tonight; perhaps that's coming out in my typing.

it's all good. all i was saying is that interviewers must not like me b/c i'm getting smashed this cycle. that suggests to me that i should choose a specialty that deals with patients indirectly... lol

Members don't see this ad.

Since a few people seem interested. Sorry Vadd0, no robots :(

2415481402_b7926f4a2b_o.jpg

And a similar table from OSU http://medicine.osu.edu/studentaffairs/7334.cfm

(sorry again Vadd0)

it's all good. all i was saying is that interviewers must not like me b/c i'm getting smashed this cycle. that suggests to me that i should choose a specialty that deals with patients indirectly... lol

=(. I'm sorry. Did you have any luck with your letters of update?

Yeah, your situation is puzzling to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is Urology??...do they have to do a transitional year or something?

Last edited:
Why is anesthesia so low? I always hear about it being one of the most competitive residencies.

You heard wrong. It is NOT. I guess people associate it with the other 3 on ROAD, but it clearly lags behind.

Last edited:
Where is Urology??...do they have to do a transitional year or something?
I tried to put urology in that chart but it has its own match which I haven't found any data for. I estimate it to be somewhere around 235.

So a lot of us theoretically should have no problem getting into our choice of residency :cool:

Woohoo, I do not need to study in med school then:rolleyes:

=(. I'm sorry. Did you have any luck with your letters of update?

Yeah, your situation is puzzling to me.

I sent updates everywhere; I won't know what effect they had at OSU, Cincy, or Pitt until I see what kind of WL action goes down. I applied to 3 schools a couple weeks ago and got another interview (Cleveland Clinic), and I still haven't heard from WashU. I'm still deferred post-secondary at Penn, Yale is a mystery, and Harvard said they won't take my updates because my application has been marked as complete.

:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent updates everywhere; I won't know what effect they had at OSU, Cincy, or Pitt until I see what kind of WL action goes down. I applied to 3 schools a couple weeks ago and got another interview (Cleveland Clinic), and I still haven't heard from WashU. I'm still deferred post-secondary at Penn, Yale is a mystery, and Harvard said they won't take my updates because my application has been marked as complete.

:xf:

aw, well good luck, ok? :luck::luck::luck:

I bet things will work out for you. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

looking at your stats, I feel you will get off the waitlist at one of those schools soon. Its disheartening to look at your numbers... hell if you can't get in, how the hell am i?

don't worry you'll be fine lol

I don't know what's going on, another guy from my undergrad got into OSU with a low 30's mcat, ~3.4-3.6 gpa, and zero research. Maybe his clinical exp and letters were a little better. I was floored, but ultimately it told me how much responsibility I have (i.e. none) for what happens this year.

So a lot of us theoretically should have no problem getting into our choice of residency :cool:

by the average MCAT on SDN most people here will become plastic surgeons

average MCAT on SDN? shiiiat...just head over to the allopathic forum and take a look at what ppl claim their Step1 scores are :eek: its rediculous...it seems like the average score is a 240+, and there are like, and abundance of 250+ scorers...one is hard pressed to find anybody who scores 210-230. SDN really makes you feel like a poo poo pop-sickle :(

i dont need the step I or the MCAT. cbrons doesn't earn a medical degree, a medical degree earns cbrons.

you need to start previewing your posts before you submit them. That way you can read them back to yourself and delete the ones that make you sound like a fool.

If you pass Step I you can get into general surgery. Just like IM it depends if you'd like to get into a place known for its reputation. There are still no guarantees on where you will end up just like applying to medical school.

I talked to a dermatology resident who had previously completed a family practice residency. Any idea why he might have went this route rather than straight to derm?

Why is plastics so competitive?

I still don't get why anyone would want to go into surgery in general. What's the appeal of a 7+ year residency? And yeah, I'm sure it's fun to cut people open, but wouldn't the blood just get to you after a while? I'm sure it's messy work. And standing on your feet for literally days at a time (some surgeries take over 24 hours from what I understand)...

Why? Why? Why does everyone and their mother, brother, and sister want to be a surgeon? :confused:

Not to derail the thread too horribly.

I talked to a dermatology resident who had previously completed a family practice residency. Any idea why he might have went this route rather than straight to derm?

subspecialty?? i interviewed with a woman who was doing her peds residency, but then she was going to try for pediatric dermatology...

I still don't get why anyone would want to go into surgery in general. What's the appeal of a 7+ year residency? And yeah, I'm sure it's fun to cut people open, but wouldn't the blood just get to you after a while? I'm sure it's messy work. And standing on your feet for literally days at a time (some surgeries take over 24 hours from what I understand)...

Why? Why? Why does everyone and their mother, brother, and sister want to be a surgeon? :confused:

money money money money. MONEY (the song)

But seriously, it's probably a god complex.

I don't want to be a surgeon.

most people would call YOU crazy for even doing an additional 4 years of schooling and going into 200k debt and then having another ~3 years with 80+ hour work weeks with mediocre pay before you can finally "settle down" with a relaxed 60 hour work week :D

money money money money. MONEY (the song)

But seriously, it's probably a god complex.

I don't want to be a surgeon.

Yeah, but there are probably easier ways to make $$. Like other competitive specialties that don't require you to devote as MUCH time to them.

The God complex definitely fits some of the surgeon-wannabes I know. Maybe not all.

most people would call YOU crazy for even doing an additional 4 years of schooling and going into 200k debt and then having another ~3 years with 80+ hour work weeks with mediocre pay before you can finally "settle down" with a relaxed 60 hour work week :D

Well, yeah, there's crazy and then there's...crazy. But point taken.

He had a change of heart? it happens all the time.

Probably couldn't get in.

Remember that a large part of the problem with competition is that some of the most competitive specialties have fewer spots available in addition to (or) better lifestyles/pay.

Probably something about seeing results right away, "hands-on" treatment, the adrenaline rush of a life hanging in the balance, etc.

I don't think I'm interested in surgery but it definitely is cool :cool:

Although surgery clerkship and residency sounds like absolute hell.

A lot of specialties use a different match system. Hell if I know which.

I think both ophtho and neurosurgery use the San Francisco Match. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Could completing a family practice residency first make him more competitive as a derm applicant? He couldn't have retaken Step 1, etc.

Research, great Step 2 (if they weren't available while applying)/ Step 3 scores. LORs. A good reason to go into dermatology.

240! I'll take that :) (or a range of 223-257, I suppose, based on the SD of 17 they give) I'll have to check back on this thread in a year and a half after the deal is done.

This is the biggest crock of BS I've ever head in my life LOL. I know quite a few medical students who practically bombed the MCAT (according to average standards), got into medical school, and aced Step I. What does that tell you?

This is the biggest crock of BS I've ever head in my life LOL. I know quite a few medical students who practically bombed the MCAT (according to average standards), got into medical school, and aced Step I. What does that tell you?

That you don't know what a standard deviation is. ;)

This is the biggest crock of BS I've ever head in my life LOL. I know quite a few medical students who practically bombed the MCAT (according to average standards), got into medical school, and aced Step I. What does that tell you?[/QUOTE]

That you are full of crap.