MCAT trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackets5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
during my studying for the MCAT i have realized something. Ive taken 3 practice tests already and on each test there has benn an entire passage on Kidney function. Has anyone else noticed any particular topics that seem to come up frequently.

Members don't see this ad.

also, the trend towards more reading comprehension in the Biological sciences section was notable the last time I took the exam (August 2004) as compared to the first time I took the exam (April 2003) and all practices tests from Kaplan and PR. I used to only have to barely skim over the reading passages in the BS section and still be able to find an easy path to the answers. Now it seems you have to really read carefully the whole thing.

There are NO da#m trends...It will be random as hell...example on the real thing last august..it had in bio two sections that I NEVER had on practice tests..they were something on the spinal cross section (ganglia and the like)..and one passage on evolution...

There probably aren't real trends, but what I see is tons of questions about hormones. Thankfully I took endocrinology undergrad...now if I could just remember it! :p

oh yeah, and they seem to concentrate on the 2nd half of physics; lots of waves and electricity stuff...or maybe that's just because I don't know that stuff as well so I remember it?

Members don't see this ad :)
there is a good chance that there will be kidney questions on there but I wouldn't bank on a passage. it's all random. but i'd definately know it. it's important. I remember drawing out this diagram and keeping the page with my a couple days and looking at it whenever i had a chance. it had all the kidney stuff on it. along with the angiotensinogen stuff. but gluck! u can do it!

tigress said:
There probably aren't real trends, but what I see is tons of questions about hormones. Thankfully I took endocrinology undergrad...now if I could just remember it! :p

oh yeah, and they seem to concentrate on the 2nd half of physics; lots of waves and electricity stuff...or maybe that's just because I don't know that stuff as well so I remember it?

Awesome, I'm taking endo right now and think to myself every class how useful it is for solidifying concepts for the MCAT.

I agree having a good base in the hormones and even some deeper knowledge is very beneficial!

About the kidneys...that's interesting.
Anyone know about the genetics trend I keep hearing about? How much was on your guys' forms?

Damn trends...

I have knowticed some trends in Kaplan practice tests. As for the actual mcats themselves, i have not taken enough of them (thank god) to find any trends. Here are my observations:

Physical Sciences:
1. about 45% of the passages are from general chem II
2. less than 20% of passages are on Physics I
3. less than 10% of the passages are on general chem I

Verbal Reasoning
1. almost as a general rule there will be at least one passage on african american history
2. Humanities passages seem to out number the social sciences and natural science passages

Bio
1. Very few Passages on human anatomy, physiology, pathology, or medicine
1. The organic chem passages seem to be all on what was done in the lab section rather than from the lecture section of my organic chem classes.