1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MCAT value in regards to the rest of the AMCAS app?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Dr. Gigglez, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Dr. Gigglez

Dr. Gigglez Member
    2+ Year Member

hey guys,

was just wondering what's a safe minimum mcat score for my friend to get if he has a 3.48 GPA overall, with a crappy science GPA, with awesome everything else (ex. activities, letters, essays)?

would a less than 30 hurt him really really really bad?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. phorensic

phorensic SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    uhh..."crappy" has a large range.

4. Brandon81081

Brandon81081 OBGYN
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have a similar question.. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA. The average MCAT score of those accepted for the school i will be applying to is 27 yeah its low... but its louisiana..go figure. Everything on my application is perfect...besides the fact i've never shadowed a doctor or even worked at a hospital. Whats the minimum score on the mcat i should get inorder to be considered for an interview at the least?

5. Dr. Gigglez

Dr. Gigglez Member
    2+ Year Member

crappy as in B's & C's with one A- in animal physiology lab? :D

6. Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg Long Live the New Flesh!
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would say that with a 3.48 overall, and a (< 3.0 BCPM GPA) that an MCAT < 30 would definitely hurt his application. To what extent depends upon a lot of things.

I guess another way to look at it is that your friend should be looking for a stellar MCAT to make it look like he really learned the material despite his poor GPA. If he has an average/below average MCAT score, his low GPA would be further validated as "truly" low by the low MCAT score.

JMHO.