MCAT value in regards to the rest of the AMCAS app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Gigglez

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

was just wondering what's a safe minimum mcat score for my friend to get if he has a 3.48 GPA overall, with a crappy science GPA, with awesome everything else (ex. activities, letters, essays)?

would a less than 30 hurt him really really really bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Gigglez said:
hey guys,

was just wondering what's a safe minimum mcat score for my friend to get if he has a 3.48 GPA overall, with a crappy science GPA, with awesome everything else (ex. activities, letters, essays)?

would a less than 30 hurt him really really really bad?

uhh..."crappy" has a large range.

I have a similar question.. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA. The average MCAT score of those accepted for the school i will be applying to is 27 yeah its low... but its louisiana..go figure. Everything on my application is perfect...besides the fact i've never shadowed a doctor or even worked at a hospital. Whats the minimum score on the mcat i should get inorder to be considered for an interview at the least?

I would say that with a 3.48 overall, and a (< 3.0 BCPM GPA) that an MCAT < 30 would definitely hurt his application. To what extent depends upon a lot of things.

I guess another way to look at it is that your friend should be looking for a stellar MCAT to make it look like he really learned the material despite his poor GPA. If he has an average/below average MCAT score, his low GPA would be further validated as "truly" low by the low MCAT score.

JMHO.