MCAT Verbal and Philisophy/Religion Correlation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is probably no connection between verbal scores and anything, but here's an idea.
how did those of you who read a lot of philosophy/religion material do on the verbal??? it wasn't my major, but philosophical religion is kind of my hobby (how sad is that?). i did well on verbal and believe that my reading those books and articles had a great deal to do with my score...but then again, i find some of those verbal passages very interesting (again admitting how pathetic i am).

my writting sample is another story (i must have drawn a picture instead of write). i blame that too on my reading the writtings of those who ramble. kind of like i'm doing now...
just some ideas. what do ya'll think?
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

I basically graduated with a philosophy degree, and I didn't think it helped me with those passages. I ended up with an 11 in verbal on the spring 2001 MCAT. But I did pretty well on the essay part, which I attributed to having done so much writing in college, especially in my philosophy courses. So I guess my situation is kinda opposite yours! In any case, I think it makes sense that the more reading you do the better at reading comprehension/vocab you'll be.

i think my history degree/courses really helped a lot with the verbal. we read philosophy, social science, and natural science stuff in the major at a highly analytical level. i think the history majors at our school have historically rocked the mcats (smallish sample size), but perhaps that is due to other factors. nevertheless, the more one finds pleasure in reading, and reading critically, the better one will do, in my opinion.
-jot

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a history major with lots of philo classes for fun. I've also been out of college for 4 years and love to read. I got a 13 on the VR and give 100% credit to the above. (Let's not talk about my PS and BS grades...) :)

I'm a math major and I'd rather poke hot needles in my eye than read books on philosophy or religion... but I still got a 12.

I am really into reading philo/religion, and got an 11.

I read mostly magazine legnth articles and essay anthologies in the areas that interest me: politics, cultural anthropology, public health, and general science (you know, the stuff aimed at people without a college degree in a science), and I also found many of the passages interesting. I suspect that anyone who reads for pleasure is likely to do better than testees who only read what is required of them. Why? Because an average people who read for pleasure are faster and more used to getting their information from reading. Of course, I have no evidence (even anecdotal) to back me up.

I'm a math major and I'd rather poke hot needles in my eye than read books on philosophy or religion... but I still got a 11.

I'm stealing prime's phrase because I, too, am a math major and .: am not creative :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by pocwana:
•I'm a math major and I'd rather poke hot needles in my eye than read books on philosophy or religion... but I still got a 11.

I'm stealing prime's phrase because I, too, am a math major and .: am not creative :) •••••I don't mind that you took my line... but I do have issue with you suggesting that Math isn't creative... in my opinion, you have to be pretty damn creative to understand differential equations. :D