MCAT-Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgwu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the August MCAT. My verbal is terrible, what is the best way to prepare for the Verbal section of the MCAT, I mean in the next couple of months.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Kinda tough to prepare for the verbal in such a short time... but read lots and lots of articles from a variety of subjects.

Practice getting the main idea of each paragraph, discerning what the author's intent is, and any conclusions he/she is proposing.

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

I will share with you my strategy, which really worked for me. I took the MCAT last August and had actually less time to prepare for it than you have. First, understand your problem: is it timing, accuracy, or both? I had problems with both, and was very frustrated when answers I thought I knew for sure were incorrect. People will tell you to read more, to read Harper's Weekly, The Economist, New Yorker, and that sort of thing. While I don't disagree with that advice, I didn't have enough time for that to make a difference in my reading ability (in my estimation).

What you need to do is work through as many full-length practice exams as you can get your hands on. Also, get a VR review book: I used Kaplan, and highly recommend it. It had strategies, practice questions, but most importantly taught me to read for main idea, not detail, and to summarize frequently. It gave ample opportunities to practice these skills. Use the practice tests to work on timing and accuracy, and the verbal review book(s) to hone your reading skills. I suggest you redo old practice exams when they are no longer fresh in your memory and try to understand why you are missing the same questions time and again or to figure out what you are doing to improve. You may also want to purchase AAMC's practice MCATS and work those. I myself did not, but it is a good idea. Hope this helps, feel free to email me if you have questions.

[This message has been edited by The Cowboy (edited 01-11-2001).]

The cowboy has given perfect advise.